37 years old with A-Fib.

Posted , 6 users are following.

About me

Hello

I've been diagnosed with A-Fib about two months ago. I'm a 37 year old non smoking male. I've been a full time weed smoker for over 20 years. I had to get my heart shocked in the er for my heart to beat properly, and I haven't had any atracks for some time. I quit everything that my cardiologist told me that could be a trigger.

For the past 3 days the flutter has been back. It's very uncomfortable and it makes me anxious. It's weird, it only happens when I'm sitting relaxing and sleeping. I'm not on any meds. Will this eventually pass or should I be concerned? I have a newborn baby girl and I would like to be around for awhile.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why on no meds? What did dr. say/
    • Posted

I wore a heart monitor for 24 hours, then had an ultrasound. Everything at that time was "normal"... as per the doctor. He said no need for meds and hopefully it was a 1 time thing... which it wasn't.

• Posted

Keith, there should be a law which requires that the first words out of any doctor's mouth who diagnoses AF must be, "This will not kill you." Follow the doc's advice. He/she may prescribe anticoagulation, perhaps some rhythym medications if your episodes become frequent, but the irregular beat itself will not do you in. You can live until your DNA use-by date (the one bequeathed to you by your parents). Of cours it is worrisome (it's your HEART for goodness' sake), but you will get over the acute nervousness. Maybe it will go away and never come back. Or maybei it will increase in frequency until, as in my case, it becomes constant for thirty years or so. I ride my bike, take bicycling vacations, work full time. I'm 78 years old. I eat right, stay very active, check by clotting times and otherwise ignore this crappy disease. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Don't know about drugs but been told ablation can help you live longer which to me means having a heart out ot rhthym weakens your heart and you have a greater chance of stroke which has a good chance of killing you..or leaving you in a terrible state..hard not to be on pins and needles....

• Posted

I went through a few trips to the ER when my AFib started but hhanover is right, think positive and discuss with your doc on next steps.

​I understand a symptom of stopping weed could be anxiety which can be a trigger also so recommend you consider meditation/yoga and other stress relieving activities. 

• Posted

Hanover is right -- you can't let a-fib define your life......learn as much about it as you can and be pro-active....Good luck.

• Posted

It has and been trying to get out of it. Not traveled far for so long. could have circled the globe 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.