3mm stone - stuck for nearly a year! Please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I'm looking for some advice please!

I have a 3mm kidney stone in my right kidney. I've had stones before and they have passed, but this one seems very persistent. I've had it a couple of years, however it started as a 5mm stone, had lithertripsy and it is now 3mm.

My consultant has advised it is too small to treat with lithertripsy now that it's 3mm (It's been 3mm for around 8 months) however it is causing me a lot of daily pain, especially upon walking! There is not a day that goes by without pain!

My consultant doesn't think it would cause me as much pain as I'm experiencing, however I did have a scan of my back which came back clear!

Any advice would be really appreciated as I am really desperate. I drink at least 3 litres of water a day!

Lizzy

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Liszt sorry to hear you have been suffering this long. I have had over 100 stones over past 25 years and now for a fact they can and do hurt regardless of opinions of docs ...

I advise you to find another urologist; I have had several but the one I have now is great ( 10 years). I have had litho so many times I probably glow in the dark and have had stone extraction; due to the pain. Don’t suffer! 

• Posted

Hi Lizzy,

I’m sorry you are going through the pain of another stone.  I also have one on my right that has been tormenting me for the past month.  I’m scheduled for surgery later this month.  Is the stone still in your kidney or has it started to move into your ureter?  Many doctors believe that stones in the kidney do not cause pain which is hogwash.  I’ve had many cause me discomfort in the kidney right before they start to move on out.  In my current case I had pain and went for a CT Scan July 5th and it came back with stones still in the kidney...but I was I in pain.  A week later I’m urinating blood and in agony.  Another CT Scan show the 5mm lodged in my ureter.  I think some people are just more sensitive to things moving around in their bodies.  Keep chugging and good luck!

• Posted

I feel for you.

I had multiple kidney stones (27mm in total) all last year.

Eventually had PCNL and I am now absolutely fine.

Obviously mine were far too big to pass so that was not an option.

Someone recommended Robinson's Lemon Barley Water to me and that did help while i had them.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your replies! Yes sorry forgot to say the stone is still stuck in the kidney!

Has anyone had lithertripsy treatment on a 3mm stone?

• Posted

Lizzy I have never had lithotripsy that small. However I have learned the smaller ones can be the worse!

The best is to have urologist retrieve the stone with scope. Much relieve!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! My consultant doesn't want to remove it surgically due to the stone still being in the kidney and being small. He said it should pass through with no blockages, however it's been 8 months now and my last CT scan 1 month ago showed the stone is still in the exact same place

• Posted

Hey Lizzy,

As you said, they will not go in and retrieve a stone still in the Kidney.  To have a lithotripsy the stone typically has to be about 5mm.  I wouldn't stress so much about a stone that is still in your kidney.  It will eventually find its way out if you keep on drinking.  I have several stones in both kidneys.  I pass one from my left side about every month and a half.  Right side has less stones and I rarely pass them so they get bigger...but even those will eventually pass.  The one that I am currently dealing with has been there for about 2 years and it is finally trying to make it journey on out of me.  Just keep on drinking lots of water.    

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!

Do you usually get pain from the one that's in your kidney? I wouldn't usually care about it,but the amount of daily pain I'm getting from it is excruciating.

I just feel like it's stuck in the kidney and no amount of water is flushing it out, which is odd considering its only 3mm

• Posted

Yes I do get pain from the stones in my kidney but that pain is truly mild compared to the pain of an obstructing stone that gets stuck while trying to pass.  I remember thinking I was in pain until the first time that happened.  I will tell you that I also have severe endometriosis which was only diagnosed 4 years ago when I was 36...stones started in my 20s.  For me the endometriosis can actually mimic pain similar to a kidney stone and it starts about a week before my period.  So you could look into that to see if you have any symptoms but the only way to get diagnosed 100%  is surgery so you want to be pretty certain that you have it.  What they found for me was endometriosis growing all over including the outside of my bladder and ureters.  Interestingly enough I tend to always start passing stones while I have my period.  
    • Posted

By the way...what have you had done to identify that you have stones?  Ultrasound, X-ray or CT Scan?  I ask because for me the stones only show up on CT scan.  I once was in the ER in excruciating pain.  I brought my CT Scan results that showed that I had stones.  They ordered an ultrasound which I told them would not show anything but they insisted anyway.  They tell me I had no kidney stones and it must be a UTI....uh huh.  About 8 hours later I pee out the stone!  So know that doctors are not always right and be your own advocate.  If you haven’t had a CT Scan I wouldn’t be surprised to find that you have a stone lodged somewhere else that didn’t show on other tests.
    • Posted

Pain usually comes when the stone is obstructing.  While in the kidney there is usually little to no pain.  Where exactly did they say your stone is located?  And did they find it via CT scan, Xray, or Ultrasound?  CT scans are very accurate.  XRay and Ultrasound are less so, especially for smaller stones. 

Size of stone does not correspond to amount of pain.  A small obstructed stone can cause as much pain as a larger stone.  Its also correct that they would not likely invasively go after such a small stone because there is a high probability that it will pass on its own.

I would consider going to another Urologist for a second opinion given your pain. 

• Posted

So sorry that you're suffering so much! I have had an ultra sound as well as a CT and the only thing that showed up was this stone! I've had stones stuck in the ureta in the past and it is very intense! This daily pain seems to get sharper and more intense the more active I am! The stone is currently in the upper pole of the kidney

• Posted

I've seen another consultant today who basically said the same thing. There's nothing they can do, it's in the upper pole and has been for the past 8 months. Doesn't seem to be moving no matter how much water I'm drinking and pain seems to be worse when walking around. This consultant doesn't see why I'm getting pain as the stone isn't moving and is still in the kidney. Does anyone have any tips to help the stone move?

• Posted

I am not sure where you live but the consultant who did mine is Mr Frank Keeley. He works at Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

If you do not live in England, you would have to get funding from your local health board to be treated in England.

I had to do this as I live in Wales.

I saw 4 consultants last year and Mr Keeley was the first one who was prepared to operate.

He is worth his weight in gold.

That is all I can really suggest.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi everyone!

I've heard that Apple Cider vinegar is good for breaking up stones? Has this worked for anyone?

I'd rather try this first instead of pushing for surgery if possible!

Lizzy

• Posted

To be honest with you I think this is one of those old wives tales.  However, I truly hope you try it and it works!
    • Posted

I would try Robinson's Lemon Barley Water.

It may not help to pass the stones but it will ease the pain and discomfort.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.