3months post TKR and still stiff .. normal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all!

Well I got to 3 months post surgery, notwithstanding all my previous moaning and groaning, tears and insomnia.

I do find though, that I am stiff when I've been sitting, and go to stand up. The knee just doesn't respond as quick as a 'normal' knee.

I can't stand for too long - need to then sit.

I think I've developed a bit of a limp, but I don't care too much if I have. Not sure if I walk that way because I'm 'aware' of a new knee, or because I am used to limping from before the surgery - psychosematic maybe?

I ache a bit when I bend my knee backwards - normal?

Also, and this is a biggie ... do you all do your exercises religiously from this point on? I've been getting slacker and slacker, although I do get into the spa every day and do bicycling, leg lifts, knee bends and other stuff I can do in the shallowish water.

Thanks for your comments!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm3months post op. With second Tkr.   I wouldn't say I do my exercises religiously either.  But I use my pool to work my knee, which is the same thing, we're just not sweating smile.   Exercises are to strengthen your muscles to support your new knee and get flexation. I think you will find that as you start getting back in to your normal routine you will be working your knee more and more which is accomplishing the same thing..  I found first time around that my knee would get sore and swell from  time to time. Usually when I over did a bit.   Remember it takes a few months and you will realize that you are no longer thinking about your knee.  

Reading the forum lets you know what's happening is just normal recovery most times or that you are doing better than you think.  Good luck to you.  

• Posted

oh what a treat not to think of my knee its been so long since ive been like that if i get to that point il let everyone know i might even put it in the local paper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.