3rd day on Prozac!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am starting really low and slow as I am very sensitive to meds. Today is my 3rd day on 5mg and I feel extremely lousy, discouraged, unhappy hopeless and unmotivated! 

Has anyone ever had a similar experience that got better after increased dose ? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

Yes, I've had a very similar experience. I started on 5mg since I am also sensitive and was supposed to up it to to 10mg on the 3rd day but I had the same side effects, along with increased anxiety, so I waited a week. After that I increased to 10mg. That second week was the worst with high anxiety, no motivation, just wanted to stay home. Some of the side effects came and went through week 2-4, but there was many times I considered stopping.

Now at week 9 on 10 mg I'm happy to say that motivation and mood are definitely up. I'm in a better place than I was 2 months ago. You may find relief sooner - I found as the side effects subsided after week 4 I was able to do more and more.

Many people get worse before better, but when this med works it works great so I would say stick with it if you can handle the first weeks of side effects! 

• Posted

Hi there

I feel for you as the side effects can be bad, prob more so as u are  sensitive to meds..

Well I'm 10 weeks in to these meds, as I had to come of other meds as they stopped working for me, but I had a good run on them, 14 yrs, so Iv suffered depression for a long time...

Iv find Prozac for ME very good, but I am now on 60mg so high dose, I started on 20mg then 40mg... the first two weeks were hell, like you never thought I'd get there, locking myself away from the world, I just preyed that each day would be better day, but in the first two weeks I was up and down, one day good and next bad..... just take each day as it comes for you, you will get better in the end, but please try to stick it out, while the meds get fully in to your body, as now I'm feeling great to what I was, depression as gone, I do have odd days of anxiety BUT I think that's because I'm going through the menopause now so hormones are all over the place, but this meds are helping with that too...

Keep up the good work, and take each day as it comes YOU will get through it and hopefully feel a lot better, what's good meds for one person may not be good for another, so give it time first and see how it goes, good luck to you, and take care 🙂X

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comment and the hope you gave me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.