3rd MRI for liver lesion still unknown what it is?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has needed more than one MRI scan for a liver lesion, I've had an ultra sound, one mri and an mri with contrast both resulted in abnormalities but not stated what exactly as my gp said they weren't sure and needed to do further investigation. I've now been called in for another liver mri with hepatobiliary contrast.. . I'm usually cool as a cucumber but I'm starting to worry a little now. What the hell is it??? Anyone else been through this...

Thanks in advance Mikiala

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Lesions can be anything from a harmless ulcer to a cancerous tumour, maybe your GP just wants to ensure that it isn't the latter which would be indicated by some growth of the lesion. Hepatobiliary contrast is used to look at the functionality of the Liver and to obain high-res images of the Gallbladder and Biliary tract. Your doctor is probably making sure your liver is still reasonably healthy. Unlike other organs, the Liver can sustain a lot of damage and still one can remain almost symptom-free. If you have had a blood test recently then ask your doctor for your ALT and AST levels as these indicate problems with your liver. Good luck and hopefully it isn't anything serious.
  • Posted

You look quite young from your profile picture. Have the docs checked you for Fibrolamellar? It's a liver condition, rare, but found in younger people whereas a HCC tumour is usually found after a long history of liver disease. Do you have any history of liver problems or has this come out of the blue 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your comment, I'm 33. My first symptoms which in turn prompted the doctors to investigate were extremely swollen abdomen, the gp firstly asked me to do a pregnancy test as he said it looked like a pregnant tummy even though I said there was no chance, I've been vomiting bile in my sleep, which wakes me up choking, comes through my nose and burns my throat, abdominal pain and pain under my ribs, they suspected it was my gall bladder but the ultra sound didn't show anything in that area, I also have very dark urine. THe ultra sound initially revealed the liver lesion which is about 2-3cm, kidney stones and a fatty liver. I also have underactive thyroid... never been tested for fibrolamellar but will look into it thanks.
  • Posted

Have you been talked through the results of the two MRI scans already done? Sounds like you have a lot going on that wasn't mentioned in your first post. Have you been told what has caused the swollen abdomen? Is it fluid, or is your liver and/or spleen enlarged. 
  • Posted

Hello my name is Frank I am 47 years old 2 years ago had a CT with contrast to clear abdominal disorder which is possibly IBS just recently had 2nd CT with contrast because I started having a pressure in my left side just under my rib cage near my spleen. But new CT showed the same as last slightly miss shape and spleen but not enlarged slightly miss shape and left kidney but not enlarged and I was told can be normal finding by my urologist my urinary tract so far has been cleared even though I have hydro seals and one is worse on the left. The second ultrasound also revealed A cyst in my upper right full of right kidney and what he says of a possible diffuse 1 - 2 lesion of which may be millimeter cyst or what may be a cyst in my upper right lobe of liver. My symptoms over the past 10 years have been a diet controlled bird 2 years ago I was in great shape 12 I had an illness that I've never had before which consisted of very low grade waning fever of over two weeks slight chills itching feeling in my skin seem to be around where all my lymph nodes would be but no swelling of lymph nodes and joint muscle pain little lightheadedness sometimes and fatigue waited almost a year and a half and just got this new CT which shows the above I have no other medical conditions had blood work to rule out any pathogens but I feel these doctors are really dragging their feet and just had an upper GI told I had some gastritis with some strictures had him do a biopsy lower than ble s and waiting on results for a month now anybody have any ideas on this liver lesion possible cyst which I feel is a poor dictation getting a second opinion on it now but that is dragging. Any ideas of this cyst if it is a cyst that's why I'm getting a second opinion the rest of the c_t him back normal know what side is all oregon okay no diving to do eyetis all blood work comes back fine I'm really worried about this. overall I feel OK but when I workout real hard I can really use my toxins seems like mine lactic acid building up I do urinate fine with no discoloration but instead of a normal sore feeling my muscles in my shoulders feel with Barry weighted down and tired. And yes yea i have a type a personality and a lot more stress due to what's going on so if I do take Akon as of ham on a rare occasion it will make me feel better all over but the small lesion has me worried.
    • Posted

Well of course voice to text doesn't work so well so what I am saying above is a 1 - 2 millimeter possible cyst what she called a lesion in my liver. I also have an illness 2 years ago not 12 years old. Also I meant to say diverticulitis and I feel my lactic acid build up and I can't get rid of it when I work out. What I was saying is I do have a prescription of clonazepam that I will take on rare occasion it does seem to make me feel better and the stitch in my side will subside some have n what is going on really sorry what is going on really sorry about my writing
  • Posted

Just been for the results of my 3rd mri on 6 months to be told I need another one as they still cannot say what type of lesion I have. Mainly they cannot rule out it being cancerous and it has grown since my first.

They are not keen on doing a biopsy as it is in the centre of my liver next to a blood vessels... starting to get a little stress with the fact that the lesion is still undiagnosed... having some blood test in the meanwhile but that's all the update I have on my frustrating situation

• Posted

Well how come they havn't offered tumor marker test for you especially liver tumor markers, they should have done that sooner for you to relieve the stress and anxiety. I would ask them and tell them at this point is it about the money because this is ridiculous. Don't let them talk you out of that tumor marker test they'll say they're not always accurate tell them you want it anyway . I just got results back from my MRI and there is a second cyst same size next to the other one they did say they are fluid-filled which is a good thing but I have to find out if this second one possibly could have grown within 4 months or was it there along with the first one in the CT did not pick it up.
  • Posted

Dear Mikiala,

I know you posted a very, very long time ago! but I am just hoping you might be able to offer some advice as I am in exactly the same boat! so far 2 mri's and 2 ultrasounds, abdominal swelling and pain and they still dont know what it is.

Wondered how you got on, hope you are ok.

Zoe smile

• Posted

Hi Mikiala 

Hope all is well with you since this post is over a year old.  I had a CT scan and MRI and a PET scan all within about 1 week because of a liver lesio and family history of liver cancer.  Then I had a biopsy that they said showed scar tissue.  I don't know why but the doc said he was going to talk to the radiologist to see if he was confident that he got the right spot. Then they decided I needed an ultra sound and another MRI. This puzzeled me so I ask for a 2nd opinion.  I saw an oncologist who was not happy with what had been done.  She wants scopes and another biopsy becaause all tests seem to indicate that I do have metastic liver cancer, sooooo  I have lots to do before I see the oncologist in 3 weeks.  

Not sure now what will happen but I hope yours went well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.