3rd night taking 15mg Mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just started taking 15 mg Mirtazapine at bed time (3rd night on it last night) for chronic insomnia that has caused me to be signed off work for 3 weeks. I have problems getting to sleep & have terrible sleep anxiety due to this. The anxiety is so bad that I literally get between 0-3hrs a night. However 3rd night in on this med & I have slept well! I am so used to getting excited & then disappointed that I am not getting my hopes up. Anyone else been helped with Mirt re. insomnia & am I likely to develop a tolerance to it & it give up on me???

Neats xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neats, have a look at the Zopiclone and Clopixol post, save me writing it out again. Fanny Jane.
  • Posted

Hi Fanny Jane. Thanks for reply. I have tried & tested virtually every alternative therapy - hypnosis, reiki, massage, acupuncture, you name it - the only thing its had an impact on is my bank balance!
  • Posted

Well really sorry to hear that. I have had terrible insomnia for years and taken just about everysleep/anxiety medication out there.

In the end they all became ineffective after periods of time, resulting in being placed on another one, that eventually became ineffective... you get my drift.

Also the dosage was upped a few times in between.

You are entitled to be referred to a sleep clinc. Have you tried this? It is on the NHS but there is a longish waiting list. In the mean time you take the tablets. You can't lose anything by asking.

I found the hypnotism helpful but have had to work at it, desperation set in.

I also think that as I have got older I am a less stressed person and this refelects on my insomnia. On a really bad night I no longer worry about it. I watch St.Elsewhere and read and surf the Net on our spare bed. I just don't let it bother me anymore. It's all been so long.

I wish you well in your quest and hope the meds work out for you. We are all different and you may find you will be able to stay on this one for years. I had an aunt that took mogadon for nearly all her life, whether it still actually worked or she just thought it did, didn't matter, she slept.

Hope you do too. Fanny Jane.

• Posted

I have bouts of it that last anything up to 3 months at a time. Its been a month so far this time round. It just rears it ugly head & hits me like a bolt of lightning! Ive tried to look for clues but it can happen when im stressed or happy in my life - totally out of the blue.

I dont think a sleep clinic would do any good really - I KNOW my insomnia is down to sleep anxiety - the vicious circle of no sleep/anxiety, anxiety/no sleep. When I am sleeping im the happiest person in the world so its not down to depression either. My biggest worry is that I cant work when im like this which puts a major strain on me & my partners finances as I only get SSP when im sick. This only hinders my recovery!

I find the Mirtazapine calms my anxiety at the moment but its early days.

Neats xx

• Posted

Hi Neats, You are in a very difficult situation. It does sound as if most of your problems are anxiety led, even if it starts when you feel ok.

I can only advise you to try and keep calm, slow breathing helps , when you feel yourself getting het up a bit.

Try and lead a calmer life, no TV in the bedroom (I know that's a hard one) read enjoyable books, listen to music you enjoy (If you like rock then let it rip, it doesn't have to be Brahms). Go for a walk if you can in the evening, just a slow old trek around the neighbourhood is enough. Take up a sport....

Worry grabs us in the subconcious. I have taken years to learn to be more laid back about things. I am basically a get up and go sort of gal, always checking what's to be done next before I've even done what I'm doing. Worrying endlessly about things that deep down I know I shouldn't be. Are you like that? It's in our make up I'm afraid.

But -I (and millions of others) have finally managed to slow down and smell the roses and try really hard not to let my demons drag me down again. It's taken a while but I'm much better these days.

All I can do is wish you the best. Carry on with the pills, they may be the answer for you. Try not to worry yet about what may not actually happen. Smell the roses! Best wishes to you for a good solution and a peaceful life. Fanny Jane.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.