3rd week of 30 mirtazapine.!

Posted , 5 users are following.

3rd week on 30 mg. still drowsy and tired. Got apointment in 2 weeks with mhteam. The longer am on this mirt the more I think doI stay on it or not. I know it helps with sleep but keep thinking it's not a normal sleep as such. If I was to come of it ( been on it 6 weeks) am thinking withdrawal won't be as bad. My mood still isn't great if the drowsiness went away might think to stay on it. .. So confused again.

Thoughts anybody??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cathy123. I was on Mirtazapine 45 for 3 months and felt like a zombie the whole time. I slept most of the night and most of the day and was unable to work. That was my main reason for stopping taking them. I did also gain about 1.5stone, but I was taking an antipsychotic as well so I can't be sure which drug caused that. I didn't find mirtazipine helped me so therefore it wasn't worth putting up with the side effects caused.

When I stopped taking it I did experience withdrawal. I was dizzy, had a banging headache, felt sick and very anxious. This passed after around 2 weeks.

I hear what you say about it causing a 'not normal sleep'. I'd sleep all night and most of the day, and the few hours I was awake I felt totally exhausted.

Hope you start to feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I've been on Seroxat antidepressant for 26 years! These type of medications act on the neurological transmitters in the brain! Do not stay on them long term as they destroy your brains own serotonin production over time! Discuss alternatives with your doctor! I'm No GP but human studies on antidepressants at Harvard University show that after 5-10 years you will really struggle to withdrawal! Drug companies have a lot to answer for! Good luck and keep in touch
  • Posted

Hi Cathy only you can decide-I think finding the right medication is tough if you do not think thisn1 is working for you,you need to speak with mhteam-do not come off it on your own and you need to remember change takes time....I can totally understand how difficult it feels but you are the best judge of what is working and what isnt. Hope this helps xx
  • Posted

Hi Cathy. I should have mentioned I went cold turkey which is why I experienced the withdrawal that I did. Not the best idea I've ever had.. But I was just sick of it and wanted it out my system ASAP!
    • Posted

thanks rachael..i wont be going cold turkey..thanks for your reply..so what eventually helped you?
    • Posted

I'm yet to find a medication that works for me. In terms of antidepressants I first tried Sertraline and had no luck. Then I tried Mirtazapine and have still had no luck. Next they want to try me on Amitriptyline, but im a little sceptical around side effects.. So I'm doing some research first.

My psychiatrist has also mentioned trying ECT but I don't fancy that at all!

• Posted

hi rachael,,sorry to say av had a yuck day my head is evrywhere.not sure if the sleep side of mirt is going woken 2 mornings running at 4.30..hav you heard of clomipramine..its an older one too but some people have success on itĀ .no ect thanksĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.