3rd week today free from codeine

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is a hard post for me to write, so please bare with me. I am now a recovering codeine addict. I have had problems with addiction to the drug for about 9 years. At first it was used to treat pain but because of my circumstances at the time, it spiralled out of control over the course of a year. After I started having problems getting the drug from my GP, I would buy it OTC in the form of nurofen plus and other own brands that are the same.

This isn't my first time clean, I managed over a year previously. However an injury led me back to those pills. I just assumed I'd be able to take them like a normal person but within a week, it was out of control.

I've gone from taking X3 boxes of 32 per day (Yes really, 96 per day) to absolutely nothing. I don't even know how I've gotten to where I am now.

I knew what to expect with the withdrawals. So I was already prepared. But one thing no one EVER mentions is the trouble actually seeing that you have for about a week! Pupil dilation and contraction was a pain in the ass for me.

I'm now 21 days in, I have days like yesterday where I live a normal life, shower, work and I'm bright and bubbly! But then I've had my worst night last night. I was up all night with horrendous pain in my stomach. I took what I could to soothe it but I'm currently in a hot bath.

This has gotten me down big time today. I know I've damaged my insides with those pills as I've had numerous bowel obstructions because of them. Not to mention the ulcer that ruptured and I bled out.

I just need to know that I am going to get better, is anyone else in the same situation or has been?

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi nobacksies. Thanks for sharing your story. I am currently 24 days clean off codeine (nurofen plus or like varietys also) I have had the usual upset stomach symptoms during withdrawal but not to the extent you just mentioned. Have you discussed any of this with your gp or have you had blood tests of your general health.

You will only get better if you take the appropriate steps to identify what's causing the internal discomfort and pain. You're not alone in addiction/recovery and Dr's deal with it daily so please don't feel embarrassed to talk to your Dr.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I'm already under the gastro people at the hospital for my stomach issues. I am not going to be seen until April next though so it's a long way off.

I am feeling much better today. My stomach is just making horrible noises but thankfully the pain has subsided. I've had many different issues because of my addiction and on the good days I think I over do it sometimes and pay for it for a day or two after. I just need to remember to take it slowly still lol.

How did you find withdrawing? How are you feeling? This isn't my first time and I swear it is worse every single time you do it.

• Posted

April? That's shocking! At least you are on the waiting list though 👍. This is my 3rd withdrawal and definitely the worst I have felt going through it. I think the biggest thing I try to remember is I was a long time addicted so I can't expect to feel perfect straight away. I struggle with my emotions at the moment as seem to be on edge. Physical symptoms drift in and out. I have daily headaches which I feel are rebound headaches due to taking the recommended dose of OTC medicine every day. Sleep is improving everyday but still wake tired and sore most days. I have been taking a strong multi b and magnesium the whole time (not sure if helps but can't hurt) next I will be aiming to get into some form of exercise and find some hobbies. Glad you are feeling better today! Here if you need to chat or ask any questions

• Posted

Hey, I'm also struggling big time with the psychological side effects of withdrawing too. The physical effects, in my opinion, were easier to deal with than this is. But like yourself, I know that I was addicted for many years, my body and mind will need time to recover and heal after that. I just keep telling myself that I'm almost at the month mark. The weekend was hard though, the cravings were especially bad on Saturday. But I held fast and didn't give in.

It would be nice to get a decent night sleep and actually have some energy to do things. My arms and legs just don't want to work a lot of the time lol

I hope you are keeping ok and holding on strong!

• Posted

Great job at holding strong over the weekend. Everytime I get a craving I just try to picture how I felt during the worst period of withdrawal and it helps me push past. Hardest thing for me is know one new I was addicted hence know one new I was withdrawing. Of course my family new I was ill but didn't know why. I took melatonin to help bring on sleep. Day 18 my sleep improved but still wake up every few hours as of today etc. Big things that have helped me with energy is a proper diet including proteins fruit and veg etc and light walking. I have 2 young children 2 and 1 and work full time so I had about 5 days of laziness /withdrawal before I had to push/grimace/fake it from time they woke to bed time. As you said it's almost a month you have done an amazing job and should be so very proud! Keep up the good work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.