3week post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

3 weeks in to recovery like to know!!!! What sort of progress you guys where at at this stage 

i.e Bend,mobility,muscle use and any other useful information 

Many thanks John1964

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello John

At 3 weeks I was still trying to control the pain enough to do my exercises. Nights were pretty sleepless and my leg was uncomfortable in any position. I had just started formal physio and my bend was about 75. Quad muscles very weak mostly due to pre op problems. Unable to lift leg to straighten from bent. My leg was very swollen and I walked with 2 crutches.Very slow going!

• Posted

Hi John.  like Sally......3 weeks it was still hell. Walking with crutches in the house and to the end of the road andback on a good day. Unable to do stairs leg over leg up or down. Pain all the time, barely relieved by painkillers. Backache, thigh ache, calf ache...you name it, it ached. Unable to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. Bend was lless than 90.

I was trying to keep positive but it was very difficult and often felt like I should never have had it done.

• Posted

John it takes time to heal, and time isn't just 3 weeks.

Patience is needed, and expect to wait for 3 to 4 months before you will feel much benefit.

• Posted

Hello John, you are in the very early stages of recovery. It does get better but you will have ups and downs. Everyone is different with their individual recovery. Lots of people on this forum have recovered alot quicker than me, but my physio is happy with my progress. Take every day as it comes , except you will have bad days. Because your night time sleep is interupted , we start the day feeling negative. Hang in there, it does get better...... medicines, elevate, exercise, ice and elevate. Good luck.
  • Posted

My TKR is 2 weeks tomorrow and im not looking forward to it, thinking im going to expect too much too soon and try to do too much too soon....hope things improve soon John..
    • Posted

Hi Lou 

thats the mind set I had ... But believe me try and think a little different as I've found out no 2 recovery periods are the same 

I'm on sticks and comfortable got my quads working again , but I don't think my bending is great as I've had a problem with a swollen ankle

Apparentley all part of the after effects of TNR

• Posted

Thanks John, i think the best thing is to go into it with a positive attitude,which i am just think ive read to many scare stories lol ..
    • Posted

Hi Lou my tkr is 3 weeks on Saturday like you I am not looking forward to it just want it over now let us know how you get on
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,i sure will sometimes i think its just fear of the unknown, think im going to keep a diary of how i feel and when i improve,otherwise im going to be so bored lol x
    • Posted

It's hard work, no denial. But the end results are worth it. Stay patient and positive. I went back to work for 3 hrs yesterday and I'm 12 wks post op. My bend is maybe 95, probably the way it's gonna be. Don't rush it and listen to your body. 
    • Posted

There's no time to be bored unless you are a lady of leisure!  Exercises, walking, plus trying to do a bit around the house after the first couple of weeks!  I intended to keep a journal too, but somehow it never happened!  But of course you are right. . all this exercise and obsession with the knee is a bit boring!  Unfortunately, necessary . . . Good luck!
  • Posted

John all the others are right, time and patience.   It is a very painful recovery.  I am 13 weeks and just come back from shops for the first time without a stick.  My back aches and I am tired.   my leg is so tight still.   My bend was hardly anything at three weeks and muscles need to be worked on a lot.   Just get as much rest as you can especially because of lack of sleep at night.   Good luck
  • Posted

Seems as if you are doing fine for three weeks!  At three weeks, I was still a wreck!  At seven weeks I definitely feel I'm over the worst . .bend still not that wonderful (about 90) but getting there slowly. Walking well without crutches, except first thing in the morning when it seems to weigh a ton and have to wake the muscles up!  After a month is when I really began to feel things were getting better!
  • Posted

3 weeks was a pain...  I've improved a lot since then (5 weeks).... I am told to expect setbacks but overall, I'm very excited about how things are going as opposed to limping for the rest of my days on a knee that was just going to continue to deteriorate.  Man you are just getting started.  Best of luck and be patient (not my strong point).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.