3Weeks post op first physio appointment.

Posted , 10 users are following.

3 Weeks today. A rollacoaster ride the whole way. I have tried to do exercises etc but really felt that I hadn't done very well. Went to my first physio appointment they were really pleased with my progress I can for the first time in years straighten my leg, my bend is up from 67 to 84 . I walk probably 200 metres twice a day increasing the walk by 2 houses each day( this is in reality 4) because I walk back lol.my main problem is the swelling, my leg is nearly twice the size of the other one so icing now every two hours to reduce it. But all in all so relieved all is going well hope everyone else gets positive news from their health professionals. A question when can I have a glass of wine!! 

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I like your style!!! I had a couple of drinks two weeks after my op and felt great at the time but the next day was a different story so I've not touched a drop since!!!!
  • Posted

that's good news!  Hope the swelling soon goes down because it makes life so uncomfortable doesn't it!  It's only really my foot now which is still swollen . . so perhaps gravity will eventually remove that too!  My swelling was never  as  bad  as yours though . .mainly the foot and lower leg.  Don;t go overdoing it!  
  • Posted

Hi Louise! - my husband called me (affectionately) "elephant leg" - it really was huge -  when i was first home and for my first visit outside the house to physio had to wear a man's huge clog because no way would my own shoe fit! I love a glass of wine but found it tasted horrible for the first week 10 days so didn't want any. Now i enjoy it as before and thing it relaxes my mind and my body beautifully.... So long as combined with meds it doesn't make you dizzy.... my own rule of thumb is if it feels ok it probably is!
    • Posted

Like your husbands Nick name.  My  daughter calls my leg Nellie. x
    • Posted

Referring to huband's comments mine has to be the kindest of the week (not)  My washing machine appears to have eaten one of my lovely thick soft socks, which I wore every day in bed in hospital and they were SO comforting .  Looking at the remaning one I said 'Maybe I should throw it away . .doesn't look as if the other one is going to turn up. . . ' to which he replied.  "Oh, I hsould keep it just in case they have to cut your leg off. . . Yeah, very comforting.
  • Posted

I didn't see any mention of elevation. You only have to have the leg up on a pillow (not behind the knee) so the blood doesn't pool in the lower extremities. Ice at the same time and be sure and hydrate to keep blood flow moving
  • Posted

Hi Louise, glad the pro's are happy with your progress - its such a relief when they say youre doing well!

My swelling was horrendous yesterday, so much so that I gave in and went to bed and elevated for a few hours. Thankfully its loads better today.

I think Im going to start having a little walk out next week - I like your method of counting by houses, I might try that.

I used to love my glass of wine at night, but since the op, apart from one very small glass with Mothers Day lunch, I havent touched a drop. Havent even fancied it, let alone missed it. I think that if you fancy a glass, and its not going to react badly with your pain meds, then why not? Go for it, you've earned it!

• Posted

Excellent news....makes you feel teally good like people on here do. Sometimes physio doesn't help I found that with my THR. As for the swelling I have found that half lying on the couch is much better for your swelling than having either a footstool or a recliner. I do not sit in a chair at all only on a couch unless I go out and it's definitely made a massive difference. I have hardly any swelling at the moment but when I walk I swell up every tone. Plus it's good for straightening ypur leg too .
    • Posted

Oh by the way I'm 17 days post op and only have about 20% swelling around knee and ankle. Leg feels great. Still hurts but nothing I can't deal with. I've been out shopping around supermarkets 3 times since surgery and feeling g proud I can also lift my leg quire high. I definitely recommend using a sofa over preference of a chair and stool. I also put a soft cushion under my knee as my surgeon said it's fine as long as I straighten it every hour which I've been doing and it's fine. I know we all recover at different stages but I'm doing exactly what I did when I had THR. 5 months after that I was paragliding
    • Posted

Sounds like you've nailed it. I must admit pain and swelling hasnt been as bad as I was expecting and have been out shopping and also to a few restaurants which picked me up no end. I think having a positive outlook certainly helps. Sleep has also got a lot better so I feel pretty good at the moment.
    • Posted

Fab. Oh yes I forgot about the one restaurant visit bit that was quite painful didn't know what to do with my leg. Highlights of the day.... pills shower walk ooh and cream cakes haha....very good for TKR recovery I definitely recommend them!
  • Posted

A to keep the swelling down. What to do after Knee Surgery. • Day of Surgery. 1. Keep leg above heart level as much as possible (ie. couch, pillows). 2. Ice with ice machine on for 30 minutes ...I did it for weeks it finally stopped swelling after almost  6 weeks. 

Psio helps too it takes time and a lot of patience. I kept forgetting I went thru major surgery it finally took almost a year to feel normal with very little pain. I was finally walking & enjoying life again and that's what's it's all about!biggrin 

• Posted

I'd love to know what an ice machine is and where you get it (I'm in the UK)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.