3yo with autism has high TSH and normal free T4

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son had some blood tests and here are the results. 

Ref ranges

TSH - 8.1                        0.27-4.5

Free T4- 15.2.                 11-23

Is this anything to be concerned about? I have read there are links between autism and the thyroid. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

What are his T3 results?  No idea about the connection between autism and thyroid, but T3 may tell you more about what is happening.  Ask for a referral to an endocrinologist to discuss his results, but have the T3, free T3, T4 and TSH blood tests done shortly before the appointment so that you save time.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I agree with Anne; ask to be referred to an endocrinologist and request a FT3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.