3yo with autism has high TSH and normal free T4

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son had some blood tests and here are the results. 

Ref ranges

TSH - 8.1                        0.27-4.5

Free T4- 15.2.                 11-23

Is this anything to be concerned about? I have read there are links between autism and the thyroid. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is a high TSH, indicating hypothyroidism. What does the Doctor Say?
    • Posted

The doctor hasn't said anything. This blood test was from months ago when they were checking for fragile x. We were told there were no issues. 

Only this week when my wife was with the dietician did she see these tests apppear on the screen and asked for a copy. 

TSH was well outside the normal ranges which prompted me to post on this site. I would have thought the doctors would have spotted it months ago when the bloods were taken. 

He is out of range on a few others but TSH was very high?

Should I go to GP about this? What follow up tests should I mention?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.