4.5 weeks on fluoxetine and OCD and anxiety worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on fluoxetine now for 4.5 weeks, my OCD is worse and I wake up very anxious in the mornings, my heart beating out of my chest and shaky/anxious most of the day!  Has anyone else experienced this and does it get better?? should it have got better in 4.5 weeks on the drug?

Any advice would be much appreciated! x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I stopped taking dat medicine it made me feel worse to i had to go to da ER i was on 20mg of fluoxetine and i didn't get better i got worse im going to start taking something else good luck
    • Posted

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for your post.  Hope youre feeling ok now?  can i ask how long did you take the Fluoxetine for before stopping?  

Donna :-)

• Posted

Hi Donna. I'd speak to your Dr.  I've just started and and am only on week 3. I have found that I start "spinning" I call it, in the afternoons and evenings but mornings I do okay. I'm playing the waiting game right now too. My understanding is that with Fluoxetine that you may feel worse while you body adjusts (can take up to six weeks?) then it will kick in and you will feel decidedly better.  I would definitiely speak to your Dr. but maybe try to wait it out a bit longer? Let me know how it goes and I'm sending good vibes your way. smile
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice Heather.  I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I will see what she says.  I have read it can take up to 6 weeks but I am on week 5 and would have thought I would start to feel better rather than even more anxious?  

PS.....thanks for the good vibes :-) 

• Posted

Hi Donna , well it been the same for me, well 5 week that is - i' now on 40mg, my big issue is feeling tired in the day .. ive now been off work for this period

I must say i did get some of your symptoms , thats when my GP upped from 20-40 mg, he also prescribed Betablockers... they might help

• Posted

Thanks for your response David.  I felt so bad today that I called the doctor and she prescribed me some Diazapam to calm my anxiety.  I only have 14 tablets though as your not meant to stay on them for long.  I just hope by the time they run out, that my fluoxetine start working!!  I am also on Pregablin and the doctor has also just increased this for me aswell.  How soon did you go from 20-40mg of fluoxetine as my doctor said it was too soon to increase at 5 weeks! 
    • Posted

Hi Donna, to be honest ive started a new job and all this Flared up , I was on 20 mg for 4 weeks and have now been on 40 for one week just, to be honest yesterday i felt really great... at the start my GP prescribed Diazapam if i got panicky at night, i took half a tablet one night and struggled to wake up in the morning ..... i think overall i'm feeling better more focused, main side effects tired in the day , and lack of sleep during the night 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.