4.5 Weeks Post Bimalleolar Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I'm about 4 and a half weeks into my recovery but still having restless nights. I really was not expecting to be so uncomfortable this far into recovery. Has anyone else noticed the pain, stabbing, burning sensations intensify at night?  Is it normal to still need prescribtion meds at this point? Also, the skin on my foot is extremely dry and rough  which I assume is normal but wonder if anyone has any tips or tricks to remedy this.  I had my foot in a splint for 3 weeks but then swapped the splint for a fracture boot. So anxious to be able to soak my foot!  

Any thoughts are appreciated! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am like you, 4.5 weeks after my ORIF in a cast. And the nights are the worst. Right now it is 10pm and already the pain and burning begins. My toes hurt and the cracking/pealing skin is disgusting as well as painful. Lotion for itch (hydrocortisone) and coco butter too. My mom grimaces when I ask her to help put lotion on my toes. 

I took my Vicodin. In an hour I will take an Hydroxyzine to help me sleep (I will take another if the first wasn’t enough ). But I’m getting less sleep now than when I first got surgery. I try to nap around 1pm if I have to. 

My big worry: 

The restless and painful nights that will make it impossible for me to go back to work.

But as my mom and doc have said, “it’s only been a month ...” 

But this is bad. The anxiety and depression are sure to kick in soon if I don’t get some feel of progress and relief. 

Im sorry I doubt what I said makes you feel any better. But you are not alone. 

Missy

• Posted

Sorry for the late response, I had to re-register for some reason. Anyway, thank you for the reply. I started taking pain meds before bed and it is finally helping. I am now 9 weeks post op. PT seems to be helping a lot also. It sure is easy to get discouraged isn't it? Hope you're on your way to feeling better.

• Posted

Ps for burning, tingling etc I was told is the nerves. My doc prescribed a muscle relaxant. 

Missy

• Posted

4 and a half weeks is still early days for it. nerves etc are still rebuilding and healing. Its worse at night as that is when your body goes into healing mode. Use the medication as required and prescribed. When I had my cast removed my skin was thick and calloused. Once I went into the removable boot I got my foot spa out and soaked it every day, used my pedi pro to remove rough skin (pumice or similar just as good) and then applied intense moisturiser. It will soon go back to normal.
    • Posted

That totally makes sense that everything does tend to repair itself at night. I'm now at 9 weeks and the skin does finally seem better. I too used my foot spa. I put a little epsom salt in with cool water and that did seem to help. 😃

• Posted

Hello,

It’s pretty common for pain to intensify at night as the leg/foot is tired from the day and the nerves also rebuild at night. 

I used organic coconut oil and it helped with the dry skin. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Just to echo everyone, the nights are the worst. Nerves are healing, but also it's easier to dwell on the pain when you're trying to "sleep". I finally gave up a normal sleep schedule and just went to bed when I was tired and woke up when I wasn't and napped as I was able. Yes, it's totally normal to need prescription pain meds -- you're still early on! Keep your chin up -- fall asleep to Disney movies. That's what I had to do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.