4.5 weeks post op for open ankle reduction

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke both bones and tore all ligaments in my right ankle (and also broke my fibula about 4" above my ankle but I don't think that matters with this issue). Pain management is good, rarely need medication. I got a plate and several screws on the outside and 2 long screws coming from the inside. My concern is the feeling and sensations in my foot. Some places seem so overly sensitive that I can't touch them because any touch feels like burning, like the skin is extremely raw, and other spots I have almost no feeling at all. Is this normal? I noticed about 2 weeks ago when my splint came off and I got a boot and could touch my foot. It just doesn't seem to be getting better and I'm wondering if it will. Oh and the dry skin?! Anyone else feel like there is a constant layer of super dry flaking off skin under their boot everyday? It's so strange.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Just about dry skin, I’m about at the end of week 9 & still have those dry skin... so I think that’s normal, although it’s so much less now.

• Posted

Hi my skin looked awful just keep putting lotion on it mine looks normal now it takes time. It's been 6 years from all my surgery I still have that feeling you describe when I touch it. It's never been the same but I had a very severe injury head on collision shattered my ankle and broke my leg I'm actually having a total ankle replacement in about 3 weeks discuss what's happening with your doctor but it seems normal to me good luck

• Posted

Wow, so does it bother you to wear shoes?

Good luck with your ankle replacement!

• Posted

Hi I can only tell you what I've gone through. I haven't worn a regular shoe or winter boots since my accident I wear open back shoes like a clog but material my ankle is always been swollen and hurts to touch it I can't even keep it under the covers I have a throw blanket and my feet stick out I wear a large sock on it so I stay warm. But like I said my injury is severe please don't let it discourage you. This is why I need to do another surgery I'm hoping to wear shoes again soon. I'm sure you will be fine. I almost lost my foot it was hanging off the side of my leg I'm very lucky and through it all i stay positive. I wish you the very best

• Posted

All normal from my experience almost 9 months out looking back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.