4 and half weeks postop tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all tkr's I had my tkr 4 and a half weeks ago and experiencing a really painful sciatic type of pain in my left leg...starting from hip/lower back...into my knee then on top of my ankle. I have a clicking in the knee crease on the outer side of the knee which is not very painful when I flex or extend the leg. It almost feels like impingement and is hampering my rehab. Prior to the tkr I had a baker's cyst which my surgeon assured me was no longer there but that's exactly the spot in experiencing this pain. I therefore cannot extend my leg for any length of time when lying down and neither can I sleep on my left side. Has anyone else had this pain. Advice welcome...thankyou

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Read the Sciatica section...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Need a chiropractor...my ortho suggested one.  I locked up my SI joints...caused the sciatica.  Painful but recoverable.  Try some Voltaren Gel (RX only in US) on your hip and glutes...especially the Sciatic Knot.

• Posted

Thanks Chico I had thought about a second opinion as not all physios are familiar with what tkr involve.
  • Posted

You need a low pillow under knees to support you, are you allowed to sleep on operated side yet ???
    • Posted

I have been told no pillows under knee as straightening will be a problem in the future. I do use one at night otherwise I'd never get any sleep...and yes I can sleep on either side I want to but too painful on my left..the operated knee side.

• Posted

Sciatica is very common after TKR and sometimes it can be exacerbated by position during the exercises while lying in bed, especially the one where you pull the leg up towards you  . . .make sure your back is always well supported when doing this exercise.  re the Baker's cyst, it can come back unfortunately . . . .

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Martina. I see my surgeon on 12 December so if the bakers cyst is back he may want to drain it. Still a long wait though😞..

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I am three years post operation. TKR right knee. Beastly sciatica pains when standing. Walking is often also difficult and painful. If it's too hard I use my fore-arm crutches which I always carry in my Mazda2 hatch-back trunk. Without my daily Tramal 25-50 mg. (never more than 50 mg!) the pain would be too much. Walking (hopping) down stairs is also difficult. I always look for escalators or elevators (lifts). One advantage with my TKR is when going to the mall, or restaurants I always get premium parking for 'disabled' - no discussion.  I am TKR patient not invalid but disabled ( or less abled as my wheel-chair bound friend from New Delhi, says) and I demand this parking space! My advice low impact physio, like swimming. Or home exercise like lift-the-sandbag-on-ankle-while-sitting-at the computer. For the pain. Asprin if it works or Tramadol and strong coffee. It works for me. Best of luck Bangkok-Johnnie        

• Posted

Hi J

I'm coping quite well with walking unaided but mainly around the house...no steps so far! Now that the swelling is going down a few more clicks are audible but not painful. My right knee will also need a tkr in a couple of years time but I think I'll wait until I'm dead for that one! Thankyou for advice...

• Posted

Link in my first post, above.  Read the sciatica section.  Common...see a Chiropractor with TKR experience.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, so sorry to hear that you are battling!  I am post-op right TKR 9 months and left TKR 3 months and both times suffered badly from SI joint pain in my back on the side of the opreated knee as well as terrible pain in the hip and down the leg.  Could also not sleep on the operated side because the hip pain would kill me.  It is only now after three months with the right TKR that I can sleep on the operated side for a while before the pain wakes me up.  With my first surgery I battled with the pain for months and did not have a proper night's sleep for six months, then I had my second surgery and still no proper sleep even with strong anti-inflammatories and painkillers. My surgeon suggested an infiltration of the SI joint and that made the world of difference for me!  I still have pain on bad days but it brought me a lot of relief within the first week after the infiltration. Physio for the SI joint also helps to relieve the pain. If you have trouble with your SI joint you will experience pain to the side of your lower back.  Do a little research and talk to your doctor about it, don't suffer in silence.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Meraai

Thanks for your advice re sciatica. I had my TKR done at our government hospital so funds are a problem going to PT. Nevertheless I shall make a few enquiries for where to go.smile

• Posted

Hi Lesley

What I described to you is not sciatica but could be mistaken for sciatica.  Do some on-line research and see if your symptoms are typical of sciatica or SI joint closure (which I had).  I found some useful excersises on-line but the only thing that really helped me was the infusion that was done under x-ray.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.