4 Biopsies later

Posted , 5 users are following.

uncertainty of it all. I'm 71 yrs in good health. That said 2010 I had first biopsy followed by 2012 both.12 cores each found to be negative. PSA then was 5. Annual physical 2014 found PSA 9, saturated biopsy of 25 cores 2 of which was low grade cancer assigned Gleason 3+3 placed on active survelliance. In 2015 a similar biopsy was performed following fusion MRI and PSA of 24.

Active survelliance was recommended and continues. April 3017 fusion MRI examination was done following a PSA level of 36.3. The conclusion if the MRI was weighed.. Equivocal. Doctors.recomend that I do another fusion saturation biopsy. The last MRI showed the Pelvis region is clear, but the enlarged prostrate with elevated PSA is cause for alarm and frankly frustrating since the medical institution is one of if not the highest rated in the USA. I'd appreciate any suggestions, comments . Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Andrew

A couple of years ago at age 73 after a biopsy with 4 of the cores taken showing cancer with the longest tumour length being 4mm and a Gleason score of 4+3=7 and an MRI scan and a PSA of9.6 I gad hormone treatment fir several months followed by 28 sessions of RT.

Thankfully my last test a couple of years later was about .1. I'm going to the hospital tomorrow for the results of my latest blood test so as always just a bit apprehensive!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

4 biopsies in 7 yrs. and recommendation of another.  I guess that is what is called active surveilance.  I can more than understand the stress involved for such a long period, however it seems as if the cancer is slowly progressing.  see what the next biopsy shows and that will give you the opportunity to weigh the treatment options versus the side effects.  Take your time and evaluate.  Being in good health at 71 you have a lot of years in front of you
  • Posted

Im 75, went through 3 years of active surveillance, then when PSA climbed to 8, we did biopsy that showed intermediate level of cancer, T2c. ( 7 cores had some cancer, 4 cores of 4+3, 3 cores 3+4). My cancer hospital staff here in NW massachusetts is excellent. I had a combo treatment that included Brachy and External radiation + ADT. Treatment finished late May, I feel fine, no real problems. If your nearby, consider coming to the Berkshire Medical Center.

(PS) after treatment concluded the radiologist said the CAT scans all suggested my cancer was more likely T2b. (Nice people, very knowledgeable.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.