4% Body Fat!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.image

I am a 22 year old male who is very skinny (ectomorph body type) and about 194cm and I weigh around 70kg's . I recently used a body scan machine (i think it was boditrax) at a David Lloyd gym. My body fat percentage came back at 4% which i am aware is extremely low. My understanding is that I eat more than the average person (i'd say usually bettween 2500 and 3000 calories a day) and of late I have been using the My Fitness pal app to ensure I am eating at least 3100 calories a day in an attempt to gain some weight. Should I be worried by this reading or is this usual for a body type like mine? My diet is mostly vegetarian and made up of eggs, shellfish (occasionally), nuts, fruits, vegetables and grains, as well as a large amount of carbohydrates (rice/bread mostly). I have been vegan for the last 3-4 years so could this be behind my low body fat percentage? Within the last month I have started incorporating shellfish and eggs into my diet but haven't seen much of a shift in body weight. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

imageimageimage

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you go for a checkup and all your readings are good, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to put on weight, and if you feel otherwise healthy.

As to healthy ways to gain weight, and dietary, probably adding a bit more fat to your diet - more dressings on the salads, avocado, coconut. Also an exercise program so it goes on as some muscle, too, a little more mass to wrap the fat around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.