4 Months...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sure I had a few slips but now.... I had a big slip 2 days of it sad Time to get back on track... Who ever said quiting is easy never had a drinking problem. One of the toughest things I have ever delt with 

I quit once and will do it again smile

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sue - ok so you;ve had a few slips - everyone knows its not easy.  I havent yet started to quit.  First home detox soon and Im scared to death after nurse stops coming in with the medication.  I am so used to my afternoon drink  every day, dont know what I will do without it!   I could do with come encouragement and support from people like you who have quit, fell off the wagon, but quit again!  Well done you!

• Posted

Good for you. You're determined to do it and you will ☺A slip doesn't make a failure as you know. Look at what triggered it so next time you can try something different. I think it's amazing that you've stopped for so long. It's a learning curve though isn't it
    • Posted

Thank you smile 

This is the stupid part, wasnt craving just all out of bordom sad

• Posted

hi Sue - thats what happens - and then you wonder why did i start again ? listen sometimes there are no answers- i know alot of people talk about triggers and people,places and things that lead to relapse- you know the biggest reason for relapse, we are addicted  to alcohol- simple as - i had many, many slips and wasted alot of time beating myself up and looking for reasons- what really matters is how you deal with the relapse- put it behind you and start again- hey what matters is today- deal with that, then worry about tommorow when it gets here- it wont be long coming around- day by day- suddenly you are 2 days sober, then 4 ------- then a week - thats how it works ------- find what works for you and stick with it- there is no road map to staying sober EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND MUST FIND THIER OWN PATH - hang in there - keep the faith - YOU WILL GET THERE - best of luck Sue - keep posting here for support- never be afraid to reach out - we all need a hand now and then -
  • Posted

I think you've had a lot of support and guidance here Sue - I hope everyone will think about me from the 18th when I start my first detox!
    • Posted

I agree with you Everyone has been great smile

We will all be here for you as well smile

• Posted

Hi Pauline 61273

just reach out and their will always be someone here to help and support you- you are not alone - many of us have been down the path you are embarking on- in my case, many times, i'm a slow learner, i wish you the best of luck with the detox and let us know how you are getting on - all the best-

• Posted

Hi - thank you so much for your support - I really think I am going to need it after the Detox Nurse has gone with her magic pills!  I know its going to be so hard and I don't think I am up to it!
  • Posted

Oh Sue, I have no doubt whatsoever that you will do it again. 

I thought that quitting smoking was hard, it nearly broke me....but I still haven't managed to conquer the drinking.  It is so hard, we all know that.

You are a strong, determined lady and you will do it, I will be watching out for your updates.

Pat xxx

• Posted

Hi sue...never give up...it took me three home detoxes, and four sections for months at a time, many, many years under the CAS. . BUT I have now been SOBER FOR NEARLY THIRTEEN YEARS, AND ALL THE CRAVINGS HAVE GONE....

I was thought of as a hopeless case, damage to every organ in my body, near death quite a few times...four overdoses...many slips, far too many to count...but I have got my life back...and more importantly my husband and my four children and my new 3 week old grandson have got me back....

I know how hard it is . If you have a slip then think tomorrow is a NEW DAY...it took me years, but I also think it makes us more understanding and compassionate people....

I truly wish you well sue, and great big hugs to you....you WILL GET THERE...DAY BY DAY....LOVE DEIRDRE XXX

• Posted

Thank you so much, I have no intent on giving up smile

it is a struggle but one day at a time smile

Thank you again

• Posted

Cheers! 

Don't believe I'll EVER stop drinking.  Only thing that gets me through a bad night sometimes. 

I applaud anyone who DOES quit, though. I did it for two years, once. I felt so GOOD. Couldn't last,  however. My husband, then, didn't really WANT me to be sober. He needed me to be a drunk - so that he had some control over me. Sober, I could see clearly where the cracks were in our marriage. I acknowledged my faults. I tried to make good. And I DID.  He couldn't acknowledge his faults, though. More sober I got, more he backed away. He was afraid of the new me. He took to making up tales of my drunkeness. Throughout my two years of total sobriety, he lied to his family about my state.  Oh, I didn't know what he'd been telling his family, not until he ran away with my so-called best friend. Much later, I learned what he'd been saying about me......So many LIES! According to him, I'd been so drunk all the time that I'd stopped doing any housework; the house was dirty, he had no clean clothes, I'd stopped cooking - and he'd had to stop giving me housekeeping money - because I was spending it on booze and - worse! Apparently, I'd been spending the housekeeping on  - get this - my, 'frequent boyfriends and dope......'

Snigger, snigger......Where I was supposed to meet these, 'boyfriends,' I had no idea. He'd stopped me going out. As for dope; I'd not smoked any such in many years. He claimed that our house had been damaged by my drunken tantrums. There were holes in the palster - all over our house - from my throwing heavy objects at him, missing and hitting the walls. His evidence was a few holes in the chimney breast. They ahd been caused by pictures etc that we'd hung there - and that had fallen off because the plaster was weak.  Biut, his afmily believed his tales. 

You wouldn't believe that anyone could sustain such a campaign of harrassment as he put me through over years, just so that he didn't have to pay me a penny for the bills he'd left me with when he ran away.

It still sickens me, more than twenty years later, to remember what he & is mistress did to me- the sickness of their campaign. 

Get this: at one point - and it went on for four months - they posted stickers in phone boxes, public and pub toilets, giving my name and phone number as that of a prostitute. I endured calls, day and night for months, from men who wanted to know what I charged for my services......

I became totally phobic about the phone.  To this day, I'll not answer the landline unless I'm expecting a call. 

But, since that time, life has changed. For the very worst. I'm in constant pain, from a spinal disorder. I lost my elder son to cancer

I'm drinking. I do it too often, I know.  It's all I know at this point. I don't think I can quit. 

• Posted

maggi7 - what can I say? You have been through so much, no wonder you drink!  Remember those two years you quit?  How did you feel, and look, brighter, cleaner, remember all the goodness with the alcohol out of your body.  You were in control maggi7.  You can do it again you know if you've done it once you can do it again.  Especially with the horrible people out of your life.  Do you have a sympathetic  GP?  Go talk to him again - dont give up maggi7.  I feel that you are in so much pain - have you been to bereavement counselling - you need someone to talk to maggi7.  Tomorrow is another day - let the sun shine in x
    • Posted

Hi maggi, oh bless you, it must have been so hard for you..and then to have to cope with the unbearable grief of losing your son...and.living with constant pain, I cannot imagine how you have coped...I know that alcohol helps, it did me.for many years...would you like to cut down again ,? If you did I am sure that you could get help to do so....you must be an amazing lady and my heart goes out to you, I wish you ALL that you wish for yourself...huge, huge hugs to you..DEIRDRE xx,💜💜🌸🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.