4 months after fissurectomy and the pain is back

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 30 year old man who suffered from fissures for the last 6 years.  It finally became so unbearable that 4 months ago I had a fissurectomy procedure and at the same time, the surgeon took out a hemorrhoid which I wasn’t even aware of.  The operation went well and I had a good recovery.  It took me 3 months and I returned to my regular routine including working out and swimming.  Two and a half months after the surgery, I started feeling pain after an effort of a BM.  Since then, for the last month, the pain increases daily.  I have been taking warm baths and bowel softener and have continued on a high fiber diet.  I put on nitroglycerin cream twice a day and the pain only increases.  I went back to the surgeon a week ago.  He told me that the fissure did not return but that I have inflammation.  He gave me a foam – cortifoam to put on before bed.  This is not the same pain as before surgery.  The pain is less intensive than before the surgery but before the surgery, a few hours after a BM, I was no longer in excruciating pain.    Now, it intensifies around BM but the pain continues much of the day.  If I lay down and don’t move, it is not so bad.  When I am up, it hurts more when I stand than when I walk. Has anyone had a similar condition and what can you recommend?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the Botox injection? Totally worked for me
    • Posted

no.. the surgent said it wouldnt have helped me niether way. 

I think only god and some good faith can help me now...

• Posted

nitzank, very sorry for your pain.   I would like to suggest a pain relief to you.  Are you in the UK?   I'm in the US, here I can buy a product called 'NEOSPORIN' ointment extra strength for such things as burns, cuts and scrapes.  It is over the counter here, and and not expensive a fantastic pain relief after a BM.  Put a little on your small finder and insert some of this ointment inside.  Lay down for a little while and you should find relief.  Check Boots Chemist they may have it under another name. Best wishes to you.  
  • Posted

I was much the same as you. I have found after a lot of complaining to my doctor that a product called Instillagel, which is a local anaesthetic in a syringe, normally used before catheters are placed in certain areas. You use it 10 mins before feeling the urge and it numbs the area and lubricates everything as well. After that there is a new product called Hemoclin which you have to buy on line which is incredibly soothing and helps lubricate and sooth. They helped me no end and I can cope again with most tasks happily and pain free completely on good days.

so alternative products you may have to badger for from the doctor but worth it.

• Posted

Hey thanks for those tips. i will ask the doctors about this. I feel the pain is becoming worse by the day along with the spasems. Have you guys ever heard of someone like me that was cured by the fissurectomy operation and a few months after had the pain come back?

i am really trying to research if ill have no other option then doing another operation. It is my last choice but i am truly starting to feel like im 90 years old. Never thought that when ill cross 30 ill need to go threw so much pain...

I will check about those creams. But it is pretty deep inside so i doubt that if i put neosporin it will actually reach the spot. Any other tips that i might find in handy?

• Posted

nitzank,  You may want to experiment with certain foods, that is what you ate the day before which followed with pain the next day.  I had the surgery a year ago, the first few months I felt totally cured.  Since then I found, I’m sensitive  to certain foods.   The fissures are gone, I no longer have the terrible pains I had before and no more bleeding. However,  I’m very sensitive down there, and know there are certain foods that aggravate soreness.    Roughage is out for me and so is too much fruit. I also think, I’m psychologically afraid it will all come back.  I suffered with this for five years before the surgery.  I wish you well.
    • Posted

Wow I think you are totally right. I also suffered for many years and it all has to do with the food and my BMs. i wonder why roughage and fruit are out of your list? It makes it soft as i have been told. I try to get as much fiber as possible. I eat a big salad everyday, i dont eat rice, potatos and anything with white flower...

So what do u recomend i should eat?

Thanks and lots of health!

• Posted

nitzank,  My favorite foods were always fruits and vegetables.  I’m a slim woman and took good care of my health, so how I ended with fissures is mystery to me.  As I wrote before, since I had the surgery, I now only eat fruit moderately and only in the mornings. Fruit  has too much acid in it,  it causes a burning sensation.  No more broccoli or stir fry which I always enjoyed.   I eat a baked potato  daily with soft vegetable’s like peas and carrots steamed.    Everyone is different, but changing my eating habits has made my life more comfortable.   Taking a Stool softener every night is a must.  I take the ones that don’t make you go as you don’t want to go more than once causing more pain.   I would suggest you try different foods, you will soon learn what is good for you or what causes more discomfort.    I do wonder, did people get these fissures say 20 or 30 years ago, hemorrhoids have always been around but fissures seem a new health issue.    Could the foods we eat  today be the culprit.   

I hope you heal very soon.  

• Posted

Well firstly sorry to hear that pain has returned after your procedure :-(

I am in year 4 (or is it 5) of anal fissure pain.  2 rounds of botox which did little (long story of bad results/experience from 2nd botox) - currently in pain during and after BMs.

Went to see private cosultant at Spire Hospital (private) in Reading.

Recommended Sphincterectomy and Fissurectomy.

Having read one too many non-success stories I cancelled the planned procedure and now going back to my NHS consultant to discuss next steps.

Waiting on appt.

Meanwhile I have just started a PRIVATE FB group (if anyone is interested).  Reason is it is a little easier to exchange information and store documents etc.

Privacy is utmost so its a geoup that nobody can see unless a member.

If you are interested just search Facebook for analfissuresupport

Hope to see some of you there to chat through this terrible condition 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.