4 months after talo navicular fusion and still struggling and frustrated

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a Talo Navicular fusion over 4 months ago and went back into normal shoes 1 month and fifteen days ago. Since then I have used crutches and /or a crutch on and off as I have felt the need. I seem to be able to walk with a slight limp as long as I dont do too much. Yesterday I went off for the day and spent most of it on my feet. Having got back and sat for a while, I then had such pain in my foot that I couldnt put weight on it! Feeling frustrated and upset that I still cannot stand for long periods without all this pain. Should I go back to the hospital or am I expecting too much from it t this stage?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

What you're experiencing is perfectly normal. I am 8 months post fusion and since days I walk 75% normally and others I can only manage 10% (if I've walked a long distance then put my feet up for a bit).

The general consensus is that it takes 12 months before you really see the benefits of this operation. Yes I know, they don't tell you that and manage your expectations well pre surgery.

My advice is take care of your mental health during this time because there's not much you can do to assist this process except be healthy, eat well, take your vitamins and minerals and off course, don't smoke. Mobility can be a problem of course, but remember that the pain you're in is muscular, tendon or ligament related while your body adjusts to a new way of walking. Be very careful with your lower back at this time too - go to physio and get them to show you back strengthening exercises. It'll help you in the long run. Good luck.

• Posted

Having a REALLY bad day today. I went off yesterday for the day and did some painting all seated with limited walking. Last night my foot was so sore I had to use both crutches as I couldn't put it to the ground. This morning I have it back in the boot again and am using crutches. I am approaching 6 months next month post surgery and a now getting really down and miserable that I still can't do anything normal without all this resultant pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.