4 months after tkr and still painful walking?

Posted , 29 users are following.

i had a tkr including resurfacing of the kneecap 4 months ago and surgeon was pleased with the X-ray result at my 6 week check. I am a fit 61 year old lady, the knee replacement was needed because of damage after many years of long distance running. The scar is neat and although pain at night has gone, I am still in a lot of pain when walking /standing for any length of time, and still need some pain medication. This is deeply frustrating for me, as I had hoped to be in less pain by now!  My ROM is good and pain eases when I sit. I use a stationary bike and do some exercises every day for quad strengthening.

Is it normal to be in such pain when walking after 16 weeks? My bones are weak and I take meds for osteoporosis, so was wondering if this may be a factor. Any ideas welcome? 

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I guess it depends what kind of pain. I'm past 6 months now and last week while walking down the airplane ramp onto the tarmac my right knee was hurting so badly I could only hobble down. I still struggle with swelling if I'm on it too long. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I'm still dealing with a lot of numbness in my knees (I had a bilateral), so I don't always feel pain (or even when I knock into a coffee table). But people say it takes time. Just keep doing what you are doing, and it should eventually lessen until it's gone. Keep icing and don't be afraid to rest it.
  • Posted

Same here and almost 4 months. Physio said it will go but need to keep working on quads for four weeks and expects to see a difference. Guess like me some days better than others. Mine is irritated by flat shoes and driving. Bought some of the best trainers I could afford from a runners shop they give loads of support and I walk really well with them and v little discomfort. Physio said cross trainer and water therapy is essential . We are a bit behind so called average but will get there. Keep positive and keep drinking water
  • Posted

I don't think it's unusual. Give it a chance completely heal without abusing it. This is a f s r mire seriou surgery than most drs discuss with their patients. Without a forum like this pepole are sort of left to find out on their own and to have to sit and worry. You might ztill be this type of discomfort seberal months from now and it might come amd go but eventually you'll be free. Just don't think you are completely well and start with the heavy duty banging around of thd knee. Id stillbe careful of kneeling. Twisting dyc
  • Posted

Hi

I'm 8 months post now.  My left TKR has always hurt (right from waking up in recovery).  I was doing reasonably well until about week 5, when a longer than usual walk affected my opposite hip, as well as this knee.  I never seemed to recover and my knee got stiffer and stiffer.  I had an MUA in March, which didn't straighten my knee (unlike the one I'd had on my right knee), and now my knee hurts considerably again.  I had 3 days away this week and my calf muscle tightened up whilst walking, so even more pain.  My quads have always been tight, so I think that is one of the main issues.

My knee was x-rayed about 4 weeks ago and is perfectly aligned, but my consultant thinks the problem is excess scar tissue, so I could be facing another operation at the year anniversary.

I hope that yours gets more manageable soon.

Patsy

• Edited

Hi Catherine, I remember struggling still at 4 months and getting pain walking and standing. Even at 6 months I remember standing causing discomfort. It's not perfect now at 10 months but is definitely heaps better. Walking is so much easier and I find myself rejoicing when standing in shops or at the park with my grandchildren that there is no pain.

So hang on in there. Keep up your exercises and it will improve I'm sure. 

Jen 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly I have just seen a different physio and am now at 5 months she has told me to rest up for 2 weeks and ice regularly, forget all exercises apart from stretching. She says the swelling is still considerable  and I just need to rest it more! Very frustrating as you can imagine. Pain is still there when I walk. Cathy
  • Posted

Jokingly said to friends asking how my knee was (18 weeks since TKR) that it was absolutely great! So long as I didn't stand on it for longer than an hour or walk on it for too long, say ten minutes striding walk, of couple of hours pottering around the garden. Bit ironic a knee that is fine so long as you don't use it!! But i know from loads of sources that it really does take time to heal so im not too depressed at all and feel confident it will get loads better yet. I don't have osteoporosis but nearly 12 years on from you. Don't worry it'll eventually improve for sure if you take care of yourself!
  • Posted

Many thanks for the replies and advice. I appreciate that it's going to be a potentially long recovery period and not just the 3 months I had hoped for! 

My knee is still very painful when I walk, but I realise now this is perhaps not too unusual at this stage... So am .staying positive and hoping I will return to my normal,  active self in due course! Thanks again for the advice! 

• Posted

I am interested in hearing different views 4 months post operation for TKR.  I saw no health professionals for 12 weeks after op and had began to feel I was never going to walk again.  Basically I had no idea how well I was progressing.  My 12th week assessment review was very positive so it did give me a boost towards pushing myself and within 3 weeks I was walking with no crutches.  Recently I have been gettin a horrible pain behing my knee and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I have virtually no swelling or pain around my knee areas which is brilliant.  Also recently I have heard knocking in my knee and wondering if this is normal.  I did mention the knocking to a nurse and she stated it was the mechanics.  Doing ok but won't be reviewed again for 9 months and just a little bit worriedas returning to work in 2 weeks.  Any advice appreciated. 

• Posted

I am 53 years old I had TNR 3/2015 and had revision 8/2016 and I was still in so much pain I went back to Dr Ottey he wanted to do another TNR and I was doing so bad I desided to find another Doctor for second opinion and I couldn't find another Doctor after searching and searching I found a Doctor 2 hours from my house, I went to see him and he said I need another TNR well he went in and found I the wrong size knee replacement and there were tendons not attached and the patella was not on ( he did not know how I was walking)its been since November and I am still in awful pain and stiffness and can't do the things I could do before surgeries its sad

• Posted

Hello Kathleen

It's now 18 months since I wrote this post, the knee replacement had to be redone due to problems with alignment, similar to you. It was redone nearly a year ago and I am still in chronic pain at the front of the knee when I walk. I am due to see the surgeon next month for an X-ray and  my 1 year check up. The pain is still worse than before I had he original operation nearly 2 years ago, and my quality of life just hasn't been the same since as I was very active. My gut feeling is that it is a kneecap issue ( this was resurfaced during the original operation, but revision surgeon didn't redo it as he said it didn't look too bad then..hmmm!)

I wish I'd never had the surgery in the first place! I was very naive and expected to be fine! 

• Posted

I too wish I had never had the surgery I was working before the original surgery and now I can not work and of course I suffer from depression I have always been a hard worker (60 hours a week)now I'm in too much pain to work I return to my Doctor in 6 weeks but he told me that the work he had to do is the cause of all the painso i just have to grin and bare it. I hope your doing better

• Posted

How long are you after the latest surgery? It could just be too soon to expect good results yet. They told me 12- 18 months second time around and it can continue to heal for up to 2 years. 

I am sorry to hear about your depression, I am trying to remain hopeful but it's been a very long time with chronic pain which seems to never end!! Prior to this I was very fit and active and never had much pain, apart from the arthritis which was nothing like as bad as this! 

• Posted

Hi Catherine

Just read your story and how depressing for you

I'm 61 and had TKR 4 months ago and I too used to run marathons, played squash, football - you name it. Thought I was making progress but feel I've stood still for last 6 weeks or so and beginning to think I've underlying problem as can't stand or walk for periods without significant pain and swelling. People keep saying be patient but it's so hard as I'm used to being so active. Anyway relatively speaking your scenario sounds awful. Really hope you make progress ??

• Posted

I am also 53 I had my right tkr 4 months ago the pain is not so bad now but i have a lot of swelling and it keep filling up wit fluid i have to get fluid pulled every 3 weeks its so frustrating im considering consulting another dr for a 2nd opinion but i cant find one in my area i dont think it is normal for this constant swelling & fluid this last fluid is not clear it was bloody which is scary to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.