4 months after tympanoplasty my hearing has gotten worse.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had tympanoplasty 4 months ago(with bioresorbable gel) on my left ear, outside and inside with patching a 20% hole in eardrum plus doctor said the small bones(stapes etc) were all encased in infection/scar tissue from previous infections and he freed them up, tested them and all was good.  Fast forward to today, my hearing loss is 45% compared to 35% before surgery.  Had problems since childhood including my ear drum did burst about 30 years ago.  Now it feels like something is pushing again my eardrum CT scan doesn't show much but when doctor looks at it under microscope in office there is something white and fairly firm behind ear drum.  I say, what if the bioresorbable gel did not absorb.  Doctor said no but he could not say for sure if it is cholesteatoma that is there but says he should go in to see remove as he has no answers and thinks the blockage that is compromising my hearing.  Plus maybe some ETD which I always suspect was my problem  Anybody?  I told him we would go back in but quite seriously might not do it except for the fact that I worry about the cholesteatoma.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.