4 months of upper stomach pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, if anyone has any insights into my situation, I'd be very appreciative!

I'm a 53 y.o. female. For the past four months I have been experiencing upper abdominal pain and discomfort, loss of appetite, and nausea, with a 20 lb. prior unintentional weight loss. Fatigue and weakness has become prominent over the past two months. I wake up feeling drained and like I haven't slept at all. I have halted the weight loss through intentional eating, even if I don't feel hungry, but haven't been able to make any progress gaining back the lost weight. The stomach pain is moderate and ulcer-like, and can awaken me at the night. I have stopped all alcohol and caffeine, but the symptoms really don't seem to be affected by diet. I generally feel less miserable in the late afternoons and evenings than I do during the first half of the day.

I've had the following investigations: h. pylori stool test, CBC (inc. lipase & amylase, thyroid, and celaics), EGD, US of upper right quadrant, abdominal CT, colonoscopy, chest x-ray, all negative. I have a gastric emptying study coming up this week and then fecal fat & elastase tests after that. Medications tried: H2 blocker, PPI & Carafate, none have helped.

Overall, I am feeling very unwell and quite worried about what might be wrong with me. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hi Sue! Sorry to hear about your pain. How have you been doing?

I've been experiencing similar problems for over 7 months now, and all tests come back clear. I have a lot of burning in my stomach and ulcer-like pain that wraps round my left side. Tested negative for h pylori and gastroscopy was also clear. I've cut out most things in my diet but it doesn't seem related to the pain at all. My final test was a PH impedance test to check for reflux but even that came back as me having mild non-acid reflux. I don't know where to go from here and don't want to take PPis for the rest of my life. Are you taking anything?

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having these symptoms. Did they do blood work and was it normal? If you are older and having symptoms like weight loss or loss of appetite, I would recommend lobbying for a CT scan. As for me, my symptoms continue. The only thing I'm taking now is dicyclomine which is supposed to help prevent gastrointestinal muscle spasms. I just started it yesterday, so haven't had enough time to gage it's effectiveness. I didn't get much relief from the ppi's. I do have an MRI scheduled for this Thursday, so hopefully that will not turn up anything too bad.

Sue

• Edited

Yes, I've had all the basic bloodwork. Only my vitamin D was low, so I'm taking supplements for that. I've had an ultrasound, endoscopy and MRI which were all clear as well. I don't seem to have any weight loss. My appetite has been better, but I feel like it's mostly stress that's causing it. Hope your MRI comes back okay.

• Posted

Hope you get answers. I have the same symptoms at 6 months. Dicyclomine usually helps take the edge off. You may also want to try a low dosage anti depressant. I know that's not the issue but it has shown to help GI issues.

Thankfully, after most of the tests I was able to put my mind at ease - somewhat.

I will able to put 10 lbs. back on with an H2 blocker in the morning and PPI in evening (before dinner). It took a while to figure out a good dosage though - too much of one of those and you might feel worse.

• Posted

So sorry Sue - I know how miserable this feels. I could have written your post, including the times of day I feel the worst. Except I have been dealing with this for 4 YEARS (I am now 60, it started at 56)! I have had every test and so far all I've found is I have a weird lung issue, but no answer for my gut. I guess that could be encouraging in that it hasn't killed me yet 🙃 . I do follow mostly low Fodmap diet, no gluten or dairy.....basically I eat the same thing every day. I still have all my symptoms, but I have more good days now when the pressure and pain are tolerable and I have gained back 10 lbs of the 25 I lost (which I could not afford to lose!). Please report how it goes for you or if you find answers!

• Posted

Im in a similar position. i originally thought it was ibs but now have a pain/soreness in the centre just under my breastbone. Have had various blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy. Only a small hiatal hernia was found.

its been hard getting gp advice and i only actually got to visit the surgery a month ago. Have given up on the nhs and seen a private consultant. Am to have a ct scan but told to come slowly off 40mg omeprazole and go on to Creon 75000. Ive had a pancreatic cyst 4 years ago so he thinks it could be pancreatic enzyme deficiency. I would prefer to know for sure prior to taking more pills!

Its just so upsetting to not have a diagnosis as am sure the stress of googling doesnt help matters.

Any thoughts welcome please

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.