4 months on - tightness in sole of foot in the morning?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

This has been such a useful forum since my HV and scarf osteomy surgery, which was four months ago today!

I have just returned from holiday, where for the first six days I needed to walk further than I had since the operation, and involved walking (slowly!) up and down hills with cobbled pavements. I rested whenever I felt the need to. I noticed a tightness in the sole of the operated foot, first thing in the morning, which would disappear once I was up and about. And once I got to the last leg of the trip, which involved lying by the pool(!) I was fine. I'm 50, so in the in-between group age wise. I think it was a case of overuse of the foot, but I hope I have not done any lasting damage. I am seeing the surgeon on 23 October so not long to go before I can get this checked out. But if anyone has had a similar experience it would be great to hear about it. Best wishes to all for continued recovery and healing.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Caroline

sorry I can't help you but maybe you could help me. I had my surgery done 7 weeks ago on one foot. My surgeon said I was to be off work for 8 weeks. I am starting to feel ready to go back now as I am bored being stuck inside. 

I went shoe shopping the other day and the only thing I can wear is a pair of trainers. I got really good ones and they are right for my feet. Not very attractive but I will have to put up with that! I have just got back from clothes shopping and got stuff that will go better with the trainers than my usual work clothes. 

My foot is really stiff and swollen but is not very sore just uncomfortable. How long was it before you could get any footwear other than trainers on? My crocs are a good alternative round the house but not great for going out. I am 46 and will need my other foot done hopefully early next year. I just want to wear shoes that are normal 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I was able to get flat pumps (pre op so well broken in) by the end of July, but that's it - I have been in walking sandals and Birkenstocks all summer. I need to find some winter shoes but am going to wait until after my hospital appointment. I need to be able to get into a kitten heel by Christmas!

The best thing to do is keep up your exercises and the elevation - each week will feel better. When you do go back to work listen to your foot - it will tell you when it needs to rest!

Best wishes,

Caroline

• Posted

Caroline

it looks like I will be in the trainers all winter! Oh well I suppose I will get used to it. 

Good luck for your appointment with the doctor. I hope you do get your heels on for Christmas. 

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle , I am 9 weeks post op and healing nicely. Just started physio as those lovely shoes we get to wear plays havoc with our calf muscles. My physio told me to try the surgical knee length stockings to help bring the swelling down. I have been wearing them at night for a week now and it actually seems to be working. Just thought it may help anyone out there struggling with swelling still. Amanda
  • Posted

I also had a HV and scarf osteotomy I am 6 months post op and only getting into normal shoes no high heels though !! 

I had problems with my wound and needed regular wound care with plastics this did impede by ability to excersise and consequently I have poor dorsal flexion, I doubt I will anything more than a kitten heel in the future .I have just moved to Dubai and marble floors are doing little to help, I think thick rugs is the way forward!!

Good luck

Louise

• Posted

Hi caroline

Sounds like overuse to me. Will settle in time. I got odd twinges in left foot following surgery 20 yrs ago usually rest elevation and ice helps or if not short course of anti inflammatory meds. Now 9 days post op for right foot surgery. Always check with yr own Dr if worried though.

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

I think you are right. I have to work at a conference next week for 3 days so will carry the ice pack and the ibuprofen! Thanks for advice and all the best for your healing. I am looking forward to seeing my surgeon this week.

Best wishes,

Caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.