4 months post op 3rd ankle surgery, a nightmare.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my talar dome I early April 2015. Damaged the atfl as well. Didn't have 1st surgery until August 2016. It was a disaster. 3 months away from home for recovery but pain got better.

May 2017 saw my 2nd surgery to try to fix damage caused by the first one. Only have successful. Very little pain.

This past April saw my 3rd surgery to repair the atfl detached from the bone. 2 tendon grafts on the ligament and peroneal tendon, and an internal brace over the ligament.

3 month post op saw agony, surgeon not saying anything. Hoping pain got better for 5 month post op.

It's now 4 months and I face a lifetime in a wheelchair due to pain and a lateral malleolus that was fractured during the last surgery.

Final option surgeon had was fusion, mine is amputation. I can't take the pain anymore. My physiotherapist says no more therapy until we know what's going on.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wow!!! So sorry sweetie what's happening to you!!! I know that you are aggravated. If I was you check on second opinion!! About your surgery in the past!! Ask the doctor about the long-term effect what it would do to your ankle. I know my doctor said I wouldn't be 100% like I was before and I knew that but I did break my ankle at two different places with two steel plates 18 screws and it was pretty bad he said!!! Hi my cast on for 4 weeks go ahead and my air boot on for 8 weeks I asked him when can I go back to work he told me the end of October which I broke my ankle on June 10th 2018 and I work construction also and I'm on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day so I'm going to have a field day on this when I go back to work!!! Check on a malpractice lawyer about that doctor do you research about that doctor see his reviews if any other patients had any other difficulties with their injuries or surgeries with the same Doctor!!! Good luck to you and God bless you don't worry nothing can't get any worse!!!

• Posted

He was my 2nd opinion after my 1st surgery. He said I'd get up to 80% of normal.

• Posted

I had option of amputation but my surgeon went for fusion bonegraft and tibial nailing as a chance for me. Get a 2nd opinion. At very least your surgeon doesnt care about the pain you're in. I am progressing slowly but well from the fusion. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.