4 months post rectocele & concerned

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm really hoping you lovely ladies can give me some advise.

I'm 4 months post op of rectocele, entrocele & perineal body muscle reconstruction ( did not know I was having all this done till my post op 8 weeks after surgery) I was 38 when I had my surgery & was told this is quite young for this type of prolapse.

I'm really concerned that my rectocele is returning. I'm having some symptoms that I had before surgery, incomplete bowel movements & whilst removing a tampon I can feel it dragging against the back wall again, which in turn makes a bowel movement easier. I really don't want to visit my GP as if my concerns are right, I don't think I could go through surgery again as I suffered badly to the point of being re-admitted to hospital.

Please please, I would be grateful for any advise 😢Xx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey, My rectocele came back. I knew fairly soon after the swelling had gone that something wasn't right.

But, if it's any consolation, it's lower down and a lot smaller, and can be managed by taking a daily laxido or movicol sachet.

I don't think I could go through it again, but hopefully you won't have to.

You could get it confirmed by your gp, but I think you can tell yourself.

I really feel for you, it's an awful thought isn't it. Mine was confirmed by a colorectal surgeon after rectal bleeding.

• Posted

Thank you x

At my 8 week post op, I was told it's anitomicly correct & that I should never have to have this op done again. I take fybogel hi fibre twice daily, I have for many years for ibs, but I can feel stool in the back passage even after I've been, it's so frustrating 😢 & disheartening.

I think I'm a little too scared to go back to my GP at the moment, I don't want to hear those words again. I'm more inclined to wait and see what happens.

Thank you Laura xx

• Posted

Try laxido every day, I was told to take it by colo rectal, it works when nothing  else did.
    • Posted

The doctor gave me laxido when I was first diagnosed with the rectocele, but as I have ibs I have to be careful what I take. Thank you though xx
  • Posted

I cannot give advice-only to say-I know what you mean about not wanting surgery again. We can live with prolapse as long as symptoms are not too bad. I lived with it for a few years and then bowel movements were getting harder and I was so tired of using the pessary. I hope others have advice. Best of luck. It is so difficult once we have this as we always are worried of it returning. Hang in there.
    • Posted

Your right, sometimes I wish I hadn't had the surgery, I knew my body better before & now I feel like this prolapse surgery is consuming my life. I'm going to bite the bullet & go see my GP. I could be wrong it may not have returned, but I think I need to know. Thank you xx

• Posted

I have struggled with constipation issues since the birth of my first son in December 1999. I have been to numerous doctors, explained my symptoms only to be told it's normal aging (I am only 44 and can't run due to bladder issues). I felt this was incorrect information. I decided to get a gastroenterologist's opinion and he sent me to a urogynocologist. I was diagnosed with stage 2 bladder prolapse and stage 3 recto prolapse. The Dr performed a cystocele with mesh, vagocele and rectocele. I am 15 days out and healing. I am starting my period in the next few days and have very bad cramps. My doctor told me the following: no constipation no matter what. He worked with my gastro Doctor and I am on prescription medication for constipation. Fiber etc did not work for me. Please ask your doctor about prescription medication for idiopathic constipation. Also, I was told that after surgery (even after the 8 week mark) you must follow the restrictions such as no lifting heavy etc. If you are having problems I think you should return to your surgeon for a check up. All my post op appointments are included in the price of the surgery (used my insurance in USA). Please keep me posted and I hope this has helped. 

• Posted

Thank you, I'm going to book an appointment with my GP, I need to know 😢 I had my 8 week post op & ironically I was not given any restrictions at all, was told I can go back to normal activities and daily living. I've used my treadmill a few time but as I have bursitis in my hip it's too painful, awaiting physio on that.

I'm hoping I'm wrong & that it's my body playing tricks on me, but the only way I'll know is if I go see my Doc. Thank you xx

• Posted

Only your doctor can tell you if it has returned, but I wanted to offer you a glimmer of hope.   Pelvic floor muscle spasm being in spasm can also cause constipation and problems going to the bathroom.   That can be caused by surgery and can be treated, usually with pelvic floor physical therapy.

i hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank you, makes sense. I have my first pelvic physio on Monday so will see what that brings xx
  • Posted

Hey there ladies 😊 So I bit the bullet and went to see my GP this morning. I do have a small bulge posterior & anterior (anterior is new) but she's hoping with any luck the physio will help. I think whoever said we know our own bodies was right, I knew something wasn't quite right, but at least now I have something to work with.

Thank you all for your advise, it was very much appreciated 👍😘xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.