4+ UTIS and on my 3rd Kidney Infection since June.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have never really posted on any board before, so I don't know what to do or what to say. But. I am currently experiencing my 5th UTI and the pain is beginning to radiate to my back already; I believe I have a kidney infection for the third time in under a year. I just turned 18 years old during the holiday and I never really had a problem with UTIs until 8 months ago when I had my first kidney infection. It was the worst pain I had ever experienced. It would constantly throb and ache like I had a knife lodged inside. I had the UTI for a week prior and I was just using monistat since that had worked for me the one other time I had one, and when the pain reached my back I didn't tell my mom until three days after and I was taken to the hospital right then. Anyways, they gave me strong antibiotics and sent me on my way home after hours of IV tries and ultrasounds. They were unable to get an iv (I'm a very hard stick - 20 tries in one night) so I could not have a CT scan. The urine test came back and confirmed I had a UTI, and they thought they saw a large stone on the ultrasound but it was later confirmed just a shadow. The antibiotics worked wonderfully and I finished the bottle like instructed. After a few weeks I had another UTI, so I went to see my doctor and I was given more antibiotics. I didn't think anything of it and I just took my medicine as instructed. I don't remember what it was called, but it was a stronger antibotic since I have been on them so many times in my life that the effects of some are not enough because I've grown used to them.

My third and fourth UTI snuck up on me about three and a half weeks after my second and that was when I was kind of worried. I know something is not right, but I don't have an ob/gyn to consult with as I'm not sexually active. So I went to my doctor again and I was diagnosed with another kidney infection in the opposite one and sent off with more antibiotics and that single pill that clears up the uti (i don't remember the name). I thought that it had finally worked and I was going to be a-okay until Dec. 23rd when I got my fifth UTI. I went to the hospital, was given a shot (a steroid, maybe? All I know is that it burned) and it cleared up until the day after my birthday on the 28th. I haven't been able to get out to my doctor yet for antibiotics and I'm not a fan of hospitals so now I'm beginning to have flank pain all the way up to beneath my right shoulderblade, along with the constant burning sensation that is driving me out of my mind. sad

Here are all the things I've tried to do to clear it up;

- Tons of water.

- Cranberry juice.

- Yogurts.

- 7 and 3 day Monistat (I now only use topical because I do not want to end up resistant to that as well).

-Cut everything chocolate or sugary out of my diet.

- No baths.

These work for a few days, but when I stop it comes right back. This was rather lengthy but Is there anything that could be causing these reoccuring UTIs and kidney infections that I should bring up to my doctor? Because whenever I go there, I pee in a cup and get sent home with antibiotics and "this will nip it in the bud!" but it's back within a few weeks. Is there any other reason for all of this - what can I do to stop it?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabriella

I stopped eating cheap chicken and only bought free range or organic after seeing a scientific program on tv about the antibiotics and hormones fed to chickens which was causing a lot women to have recurring UTI's. My recurring UTI's eased up straight away. I then started taking a probiotic every day and haven't had an episode for over a year. I don't know where you are located, I am in Australia, but when I felt even an inkling that I might get an UTI I took Hiprex which helped a lot. I don't know if this will work for you but it is certainly worth giving a try. Good luck. Maz

• Posted

That is great info. I will look that up. Probiotics are agood idea also.
    • Posted

Hello Maz,

I will certainly consider organic chicken since it truly couldn't hurt to try! I have a bottle of probiotics (Lactobacillus) and I've been taking them with the antibiotics I was given when I was in the hospital two weeks ago. smile

Thank you for your suggestions.

• Posted

Hi Gabriella, I've only just seen your post so you may have other news by now, but I was just wondering if your doctor sent off your urine samples to be cultured?  Your hospital visit confimed you had one, but you need to make sure your doctor sends off a sample before he gives you an antibiotic as he could be giving you the wrong thing.  Monistat is (I think) just an antifungal for yeast infections of the vagina (usually thrush).  Giving up sugar is a great idea if this is your problem, but if you've got a urine infection I can't see that it will help.  The two can be confused but the urine infection will feel more like burning when you pee while thrush is more of a constant itching.  It's not good practice for a doctor to hand out antibiotics to 'nip it in the bud'.  This is how AB resistance starts!

Also, try to find out what antibiotics you've been given already - your doctor will have had a letter from the hospital telling him what they gave you.  If you hear the name Ciprofloxacin be very sure you find out how much you have been given and ask the doctor to put on your notes that you never want to be given it again.  I'm not joking, this is one of a group of very powerful broad spectrum ABs called the Quinolones.  They work by preventing bacterial DNA from duplicating, sadly but also prevent our DNA from duplicating - and we kind of need it!  Many people have been badly affected from taking too many (or even just one or two) of these ABs - many of them have taken Cipro for urine infections.  My husband took one course then the second course a year later made him very ill.

I don't want to scare you but I'm sure they will give you more ABs as whatever you had hasn't cleared up yet.  There is a discussion on this forum called Fluroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome where you can find out more, with some website information.  I know you're very young, but don't forget that your doctor doesn't know everything.  Don't let him prescribe stuff without finding out what the problem is - tell him you want to know as so many infections in such a short time clearly isn't right. 

Finally, cranberry juice is good but you could try to get hold of D-Mannose powder, which is the active ingredient of cranberry, and take one teaspoon in water as per the instructions.  If you can only get cranberry juice make sure it's Ocean Spray or Lidl (which are about 25% juice), most others are only 10% (and cheaper than Ocean Spray) - read the labels!

• Posted

Your so right they dont know alot I've found. They gave me cipro along with many others that made me worse. Having the urine cultured is important also. Cefadroxil is good for anti resistant bacterial infections.
    • Posted

Hi Miriam, I went back to the hospital (two weeks ago, I think; my weeks are blending together!) and I believe they did send a culture out for testing - they had me go back in a week later and I will post about the new mess they discovered in a new comment. 

But man do I really wish I had seen this comment sooner (darn me for not checking my phone!), because I just finish my 7 day course of diflucan 150mlg - which with a quick google I found is fluconazle. So far I haven't had any effects by it, at least not what I can tell. I know it certainly doesn't stop the burning sensation as much as it did when I had my first UTI seven months ago. I will defintely not be taking fluconazle again in the future and I will certainly pick up some cranberry juice and read the labels! Are cranberry tablets at all effective? I don't exactly hate the taste of cranberry, but it's not very pleasant! 

Thank you so much for all of this advice, it's really helpful.

• Posted

Ok hon, first of all why in the world are you using monistat to help with a kidney infection? I feel bad for you because you have been getting some really bad advice if your doctor did not tell you to immediately stop! That is for yeast infections in your vagina and has nothing to do with your urinary tract, bladder or kidneys. Let me try to help you. Ok, when i was pregnant with my now 10 year old son, i had a very serious condition called placenta increda. Basically instead of the embryo attaching to the lining thats it was suppose to my lining was not there so it attached directly to uterine wall. So the placenta grew thru my uterus and latched its blood sucking self to anything and everything it could. My bladder colon ect... I had to have a 6 hour surgery to deliver him. I had to have bladder reconstruction because the had to cut the placenta away from my bladder. After healing my bladder was scarred and my urethra kinked. When i would pee a little of urin would stay in my urethra. So basically i started getting uti's all the time. My doc gave me antibiotics just like you and sent me on my way. This kept happining.

It started going up into my kidneys and i was getting them back to back also like you. The antibiotics caused yeast infections so i would use Monistat to treat them. The Monistat itself would get into my uretha and cause another uti that ended up in another kidney infection.

Also the doctor was not giving me the right antibiotics so the infection was never clearing up all the way. I had to see a urologist to help.

He prescribed me Cefadroxil 500 mg twice a day for 14 days. It worked! My pcp did not even know about it. I think you have never got rid of the first kidney infection . lots of things can cause uti,s that then develope into kidney infections. Never use Monistat unless you have a yeast infection. And i dont at all. There is perscription one pill that gets rid of them. Putting bath products in your bathwater, using babywipes, any of the feminine deodorant sprays. Not getting all your urine out when you pee, if your not sexually active i guess you dont need to know to always pee after. And dont use lotions or lubercates.

You should call your doctor tell him you want this antibiotic. If you have used it already. Then you have another infection from using Monistat to treat your uti. Antibiotics treat uti's. It only takes a day for a the infection to go to bladder and then to kidneys. Drinking fluids and cranberry juice will prevent them but will not treat them.

I know.this is long but trust me i know what im talking about. I hope it helps you. chronic kidney infections or ones that are left untreated can cause irreversible KIDNEY DAMAGE. You are young dont let that happen. Then first hint of a uti get to doctor or er clinic for antibiotics. Good luck

• Posted

Oops, I always mix up UTI's and Yeast infections. At the time I originally wrote this I was a little wacky with my sleeping aid and that totally didn't help my forgetful mind. I don't use monistat during UTI's - well not techincally. I have a UTI and whenever I take an antibiotic (especially penicillin - which I have on my allergy list because its the worst of any antibiotic and it makes me way more weak than any other ones) I get a yeast infection, so I use the topical and insertable monistat. I went to the hospital and doctors in the last two weeks and I will explain everything in a different comment but the medications I were on for five days was SMZ/TMP DS 800-160M tablets, 2 times a day. I just looked closely at the bottle and it said its the generic version of Bactrim. I went to the doctors last week and he perscribed me diflucan for seven days, which I just finished today.

I defintely appricate this comment and I will certainly bring up that antibiotic when I get an appointment when the urologist. Thank you so much, Manson! smile Also, that entire placenta thing sounds absolutely horrifying and I am very glad you and your son are okay!

• Posted

Apologizes for the messiness of this update! I'm going on 48 hours no sleep (very unhealthy, I know! Insomnia is a bully and I got midterms) so please bare with me.

I went to the hospital two weeks ago after my mom decided that I couldn't wait until Monday to see my doctors. I got an IV in one stick (Amazing, right? Too bad they didn't use it for anything other than regular fluids) and I got a CT scan done with no contrast dye. The trip was rather uneventful and was more irritating than anything, but it needed to be done. I peed in a cup and a couple hours later they were certain I had an infection and they gave me generic Bactrim in 160mlg to take for five days, 2 times daily. I couldn't get it until the morning after because the time we left it was past midnight and everything was closed. They said they did a culture and perscribe me the antibiotic that would kill it, but I still have pain in my back - though I can't tell if its the same or not because I've been given Urinary Track pain relief. It's two little pills and it makes me pee a reddish-orange. First time I peed after taking them, I was so scared haha, it looked like Sunny-D!

A week after my hospital visit I had a check up with my doctor (Last Friday) and after we went over my medications and perscribed what he believed would help (diflucan 150mlg for seven days, yikes) and when he examined my back, I was super tender down my spine and across my flanks, so I had x-rays done. My spine is straight at the bottom where is supposed to be curved, but mine is straight. He then pressed on my stomach and I had pain near my right ovary. I thought I was just getting my period but he told me the CT scan showed that there was a mass on my ovary. And now that I think about it, I haven't had my period since November-ish; but I've been having cramps like nobodies business on top of all of these UTI's! I do not know if an ovarian cyst can do anything with UTIs, but I just wanted to add this just in case. I do not have any appointment for an ultrasound yet, nor one for a urologist. They're supposed to be calling sometime this week, so lets hope!

I am just simply tired of the constant UTI's and antibiotics, but I hope that with all of this advice and these specalist appointments that I have coming up - I will soon be UTI free.

• Posted

It sounds like it was a good thing you went back and had it all checked out.  At least if it is an ovary thing they'll sort it out for you and then it'll hopefully be all over. Lets hope so, after all you've been through.  Whatever happens, please make a note of the AB group I told you about - the 5 Quinolones e.g. Ciprofloxacin and the four others ending in -floxacin.  Whatever happens in your life, never take these (there's a court case about Levofloxacin just started in the USA!).  Tell your friends and relations about them too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.