4 weeks 3 days TKR post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

I can relate to every one of your posts, except the bilateral ones.  Lord, how did y'all do that?  I keep hearing, it's worth it, there is light at the end of the tunnel, you'll be glad you did it.  I guess I an in denial, because I feel like I will be in this pain the rest of my life.  I am 68, so not young and not too too old.  thank goodness I don't have to get back to a job.....   I will never forget this pain, so therefore I will never have my other knee done.  you know how people say you forget your labor pains.?  Nah, I didn't.  And I won't ever forget this pain either.....

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martha - I am 5 months post op and feel the same - I am trying hard mentally to get my thoughts positive but it’s hard when my swelling and pain is there daily ... it is a little better than 3 months ago but no where I want to be sad 
  • Posted

That's what I wanted to do martha08360! I did the right one done in July and this one on 02/20. I just want my healrh to come back. In the middle of the 2 knees and back surgery I had breast cancer, So my goal is a 5 K walk this October😁. I think I can!

• Posted

Exactly why people get both done together! They know they won't return! I would tell anyone who is anticipating TKR, to be totally desperate, immobile and in agony, as I was!

• Posted

Yes, I was, and it helps! Much as it is awful! Personally nothing after TKR was as bad as before, because it is a different situation, and for me the fact I had received the treatment i wanted and needed gave me an underlying sense of gratefulness which fuelled the whole experience. So much comes down to the way we think about things.

I have a memory you being someone that enjoys walking? Whatever the trials of TKR be it one or two, isn't it fantastic to be able to walk again! It makes me so happy, and I will never take that for granted again!

One year post op now! So worth it!

• Posted

Hi Jenny. Yes, I was a long time and long distance walker. Unfortunately my right knee is not perfect so I pool walk as often as possible. Yes, I am grateful for my outcome however every decision we make comes with consequences and new knees can be work in progress for at least 18 months. At 2 years, I am active and returning to a better life, travelling much, however I still wake up with pain so I take a pill and get on with it. Nothing replaces the knees we were born with. They're lost now so dealing with my new reality. I had no choice. Bone on bone both knees. Every day I see tiny improvements. xx

• Posted

I entered the process of having a TKR knowing there was no guarantee of improvement and fully expecting still to have some pain afterwards, so I am pleasantly surprised with my results personally, though I can appreciate it must be terribly disappointing for those who don't have expectations met. mine were surpassed, how long for I don't know, but I am working to keep the weight off so I get maximum benefit for as long as possible. I love your approach and the main thing is the difference in quality of life... we have to get on with it, and yes, deal with our new reality.I have occasional aches and cluncks and funny sensations, but because I can walk again as I need to I don't mind this at all. Everyone is so different in outcomes and expectations, so I guess it's not surprising.

Two years and still improving is going to be encouraging for some folk to read, I am sure, because things take longer for some people.

• Posted

Martha you are a gal after my own heart. I did forget my labor pains but not this surgery. I am 9 months P.O. from rtkr and still feel terrible. Leg feels like it’s got a fifty pound cement block on it. I still take oxycodone on occasion but I feel like I will never be the same. I am 70 and need the other one done.   NO Not ever. I hope you do begin to feel better, I know people who have, unfortunately I’m not one😞

• Posted

I am 7 months rtkr. Yes I still remember my pain after my surgery like it was yesterday. Yep, never again will I have this done. My left knee still fine.

As for doing a 5k in October? That should be manageable.

I still get stiff and pain in the muscles just above my knee

• Posted

I am 7 weeks and 3 days post op, I am 52. Hang in there, I felt like you at 4 weeks, I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Now I’m doing better. I can walk up and down stairs normally all be it slowly (for now) I can now use the bike which I just couldn’t do at 4 weeks. It’s true what they say, it’s not a quick recovery but you just have to hang In there. I can feel that the op has improved my life. Even with the op pain, stiffness and swelling my knee is much better than before. Stay with the exercises, keep your pain meds going and remember that you need to retrain your muscles they have been traumatised, stay positive. It will be worth it 😘. 

• Posted

thank you soooo much for your words of encouragement.  so the pain eventually goes away also?  nights are the worse for me.......
    • Posted

Martha, my nights are getting better. I do take pain meds just before I go.  I have to use a single quilt over me as the double is to heavy, I use the pillow to support my knee. I used to wake all the time before it was done so now is an improvement. I do make sure my bedroom is gadget free and dark. I hope you have a good night soon 💕

• Posted

On reading your post I could have written it.The only difference being I have had 3 other ortho ops and was fine after them where as this knee op has traumatised me .My other knee needs done but there is no way I would ever put myself through this again.People keep saying you will change your mind in time but I definitely won’t.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.