4 weeks alcohol free.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, How is everyone doing?

I just wanted you all to know that i am now 4 weeks free of the dreaded drink. smile

My appointment was changed to start the Acramposate till the end of the month depending on my blood results. A little apprehensive about those. 

Has anyone suffered any side effects from the Acamprosate and what should i expect? Any advice appreciated.

I am still struggling with the sleeping at times and taking Nytol to help.

Anyway, I hope you are all well.  

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

did you an yourself off on your own or go to a professional detox center? im self weaning this week and its a tuff one any adive appreciated
    • Posted

Hi, I paid privately for a home detox (not as expensive as you're probably thinking) as I just couldn't wait for one on the NHS. I am so pleased I did.

I had tried tapering/weaning off and it just didn't work for me. Once I started drinking I didn't have the willpower to stop.

Are you in the UK?

• Posted

Hi. So pleased for you that you've gone 4 weeks and you are doing so well. So happy for you. So very disappointed and angry with the system in making you have to wait until end of May( have I read this correctly?). This is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure others will post and agree. I haven't taken acamprosate so can't advice, though I'm sure others will. Sleep insomnia is something we have to accept for several weeks but it's better having no sleep and a horrible hangover. 

Wishing you all the best in your recovery xx

• Posted

Thank you so much. smile. The system does suck at times, as does the insomnia and mood swings. Much happier without the hangovers and guilt though. smile. I hope you're well!!
  • Posted

Glad to hear things are still going so well, Shelley smile
    • Posted

Thanks Paul. Feeling pretty good at the moment and a little bit proud of myself too. smile.

Hope you're well!!?

• Posted

Shelley what great news, a month without alcohol.

its disgusting, but not really surprising the way we're treated.

i took acamprosate for a year, and it was excellent. I certainly had no side effects, 6 tablets, 3 times a day. It's hard to describe, you just don't notice anything different for the first 4/5 days. Then out of the blue, I realised one day that I wasn't thinking about drink. The only problem I had was rembering to take them!! They do stop the cravings.

RHGB is on campral and will no doubt reply in greater detail. He had to fight a very long battle to get campral and went to extreme lengths. He'll explain how it works, what it does etc.

as regards sleeping, I suffer dreadfully, even though I take 5mg NITRAZAPAM every night. Four hours a night is a really good night for me. I'm lucky that I don't have to work, as half the time I'm a walking zombie! Every time I tell my GP about insomnia, all he says is "no-one ever died from lack of sleep". It will take many months for you're body to re-adjust, just try not to worry.

• Posted

Hi Shelley, I missed this post for some reason.

I'm not sure why they need bloods for acamprosate, the ingredients are pretty harmless and less you are allergic to talc (I kid you not, it does contain it).

It has no side effects whatsoever, it is like taking a vitamin tablet every day. Honestly it is not like the other medications, you won't notice a thing. It takes a week to kick in, whilst you get dosed up.

It just kind of creeps up on you, you suddenly think, I haven't thought about alcohol for a couple of days. You can walk past a pub, without torturing yourself about what it would be like to go in and sink a few.

The sleeping will get better, just hang on in there for a bit. As for the bloods, they don't actually usually tell you about them, unless there is a reason that they can't give you the medication. They are not your primary care provider, so they should discussion of results to your GP if there was a problem.

• Posted

Hi RHGB,  How are you?

Thanks for the reply. The bloods were standard from what i could gather and all have come back normal i believe.

I am alittle unsure now what to do about the Acamprosate as I have now been alcohol free for 5 weeks and dont seem to get bad cravings more of a fleeting thought...Ohh I would love a glass of wine this evening...then remember that I cant so try to keep busy. Do you think its worth still taking it now?? Will it help in the long run?? Pleased to hear of no side effects thats for sure! My appointment is the end of the month.

The sleeping isnt too bad but im still taking Nytol at the minute.

• Posted

Yes, I definitely take it. It really has no side effects so it will not impact on any part of your life. I had to go six weeks between detox and acamprosate.

It will help you, you may have the willpower to totally resist temptation, but what acamprosate will do is calm that anxiety about that odd drink you crave - for that is what it does, anti-craving.

You start taking it and start thinking, this is a waste of time, I don't feel any different and then one day it will hit you.

It is suggest to be taken for up to 12 months, but there is nothing to stop you doing 3 or 6 months. But do give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.