4 weeks and depressed

Posted , 15 users are following.

Everyone says I am doing so well but I don't see it. If I sleep and try to straighten my knee it feels like I am tearing my knee apart. I am wondering if the oxycodone is making me feel low. My main job should be getting better but I just feel so listless and what should be easy is hard. She

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm on day 19 I'm on oxycodone and I AV days where I could just lie in bed but force myself to get up I also feel my knee is never going to bend just feels like I have a tight clap round it . Just wondering why you think oxycodone might be the cause of feeling down is it known for that.

• Posted

Use the link in my post second from the top...read the section on Post Op Depression.  Not everyone gets it but it's very common.  Hit me when I had my hip replaced in 2009...cried for 3 days, no idea why.  My MD cousin told me about it and asked why the doc never even discussed it.  Truth...docs don't talk about it.  With the TKR, I was totally prepared and kicked its a$$...

Opioids kill pain and can make you loopy but as far as causing depression, there's a lot of conflicting information out there.  If you are 3 weeks p/o and feeling depressed, it's probably not the painkillers.

• Posted

4 weeks post op is very very new.  Just go with it, it does get easier.  Don't expect too much from yourself.  Bit by bit you'll feel better.  Keep doing your exercises, that's your main job at this stage.  I'm a year post op and it's finally getting easier.  Don't forget that it's major surgery and it takes a while.  

• Posted

I fully understand your situation. At 4 weeks post op I could hardly walk (using a walker) but I went PT 3 times a week. I really didn't make any progress and said how depressed I was to my wife and the my PT. I kept saying to myself that this is early in my recovery so I took a deep breath and kept going. I'm now at about 5 months post op and resigned to the fact that this is going to continue to be a work in progress. I slowed down on my pain medication way too soon, take what you need. Nights are the problem still for me. At 4 weeks I was still using 3 pillows under my leg and an ice pack to help with the swelling. So you need to understand that progress will be slow, pain lasts for a while and getting depressed is all part of it. Relax do what you can and stay positive.

• Posted

with my last total knee i felt the same, mybe if you can not walk go wheelchair anything to get you outside and move about.  Pain meds unfortunity do make you feel down but you will not be on them forever, just try and keep you mind on something else. good luck
  • Posted

Hi

I am 15 weeks after my op, hot baths and icing really helps. After about 10 weeks the pain you either get used to or is less.

I did not take so much pain relief, as it made me sick. I purchased the cuff case ice bucket to fill the knee wrap. At first this was about 10 cycles a night now I am down two or three.

My knee still swells and burns, but I am pushing it by using the bike and exercise.

I only started the bike week 11.

It's a difficult recovered it would seem.

I did drive again at 4 weeks, but not so easy getting in and out of the car at first.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hot baths and icing the knee really helped me, I did this for 16 weeks after my operation. As my knee was always really hot to touch. I only stopped icing my knee two weeks ago.

I still use a hot bath to help my knee and also try the knee bending. As the pain was high, I did not really do too much of the exercises, but with time my leg can be straightened and the bend pass 90 degrees is getting better week by week.

My sleeping really improved after about 10 weeks. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.