4 weeks in Flucloxacillin prescribed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm experiencing my first bout of Blepharitis, and after 4 weeks of suffering I have been prescribed 250 Flucloxacillin 4 times a day, anyone else been prescribed antibiotics & was it successful?  The swelling hasgone down, but can still be very itchy at times.

So much harder to focus, especially when the film cover will not budge, can certainly be exhausting at times.

Why when nearly 50 would you develop a condition like this. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good question, why indeed.

Was the diagnosis made by an ophthalmologist?

I wonder why a very potent antibiotic was prescibed?

• Posted

no by a doctor. Took 3 visits before antibiotics prescribed as it was just transferring from one eye to another.

certainly seeing a vast improvement 

• Posted

The antibiotic prescribed for you is a fluroquinolone which caarries a black box warning.

• Posted

I too started with Bleph/ blocked meibomian glands at 50 and have done plenty of reading up about it,I also joined Facebook support  groups..The worrying thing that I keep reading is that it's age and menopause related, the glands die and so fail to produce the oil needed to keep eyes lubricated which leads to infection..The brand SIMPLE do eye ointment which relieves  itchy dry eyelids,use at night. Heat masks for eyes and good hygiene until we find a cure. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi again There are other less potent antibiotics thanthe fluoroquinoloeswhich are only recommended  to be prescibedfor life threatening infections.
    • Posted

As I only gave 2 days left it would make sense to finish the course.

Thnx

• Posted

Sorry I have to disagree with your comments because of the known serious dangersof the fluoroquinolones.

However I respect your decision .

Thanks

Take care.

Jane xx

• Posted

Judy, your input is precious. I am in menopause and Bleph is a curse.

Warm compresses give some relief but this is not enough. I use also Tea  tree oil and baby shampoo. Still its a lot of discomfort. Eye ointment by  SIMPLE is for eyelids or it is  used on the eye itself?

• Posted

Hi Rita, yes just for eyelids not inside. I used Lacrilube for inner eye at night as it's thick. 

• Posted

rita I have sent you a link to Lacrilube. Please be sure that you know what you are treating. I would check with your dr/optometrist/ophthalmologist that is is safe for you to use lacrilube and that you are not allergic to any of its constituents.

NB Fluoroquinolone antibioics are only supposed to be used in life threatening conditions due to their serious side effects.

• Posted

Thank you Jane. I've seen  my ophtamologist today She prescribed doxycycline - antibiotic . Have anybody had luck with it? Please?

• Posted

Hi again

I cannot tolerate doxycycline. It is very potent and am unsure why it has been prescribed.

Have you tried the heat eye masks they unbock the glands to enable the fluid to lubricate the eyes.

Have you googled Moorfields eye hospital to get the info on blepharitis ?

​You justhave to be verycareful about putting all these things in your eyes because at the end of the dayyou are introducing chemicls which contain preservatives which may aggravate the problem.

​The idea of putting any shampoo , wet wipes etc near ones eyes sounds so horrific.

• Posted

Thank you Jane or your care. I have taken only two caps of Doxycycline but I live with fear that it will cause digestion complications. 

Thank you for  the link on Lacrilube, very helpful.

I Haven't researched Moorefield Hospital yet but I will for sure. I do 2 compresses a day regularly. I felt much better when I started to massage eyelids after the warm masks. Yet it seems not enough.

Today I managed to wear mascara for 2 hours only. That's a huge progress. But I use mascara very rarely because my eyelids are swollen. Blessing for you and this  site.

• Posted

Jane, Doxycycline has been prescribed for the inflammation of our eyelids. I take it with food. I will stop taking it as soon  as I will feel complication with digestion.But I hope  this antibiotic will reduce eyelids inflammation.
    • Posted

Hi again

​Perhaps it is best to avoid mascara for a while. The black seems to be the most drying and irritating to ones eyes , the same applies to eye shadow.

I would never use the eye products especially when your eyelids are swollen.

• Posted

Jane,

Thank you again.  I've been avoiding  mascara for a long time. To-day has been a special occasion. I said good bye to eyeliner for good.

• Posted

I understand it is a nightmare at times.Do your eyes sting when you apply eye make up?

• Posted

Jane,

I have found hypoallergennic FIBER mascara. IT's called Eye Booster by Physician Formula. I am in the US. I wear it very very rarely. For 2 hours only.I carry mascara removing liquid in my car to remove make up ASAP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.