4 weeks into increased fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have severe anxiety and depression which I have had years before. Since that time I have been taking 20mg fluoxetine a day; unfortunately my symptoms returned tenfold following an awful family trauma (not a death) which is still causing me distress. My GP increased my meds to 40mg four weeks ago and I'm desperate to recover. I have had a few patches of 'normality' but they are short lived and then the problem becomes more distressing! Do you think the meds will take effect soon? I also take 3.75mg of zopiclone as I simply can't switch off at night. Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi

i could've written this word for word because I am going through exactly the same thing under the same circumstances the only Difference being that I take mirtazapine at night to help me switch off. It's just so hard isn't it. Everything is such a struggle and when you have a good patch you get frightened to admit it in case you ruin it. I just try to take each hour at a time but it's not easy. I hate depression and anxiety so much xx

• Posted

You poor thing.....its so awful, isn't it?! How long have you been on your meds?

I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to good patches (and they literally are patches!) Too afraid they are real as you know the agony and disappointment which will rear it's ugly head.....so unfair.

Keep your chin up and lets hope tomorrow is a little kinder to us sufferers tomorrow!x

• Posted

I've been on 20mg of Prozac for about 3 years but they've been upped to 40mg and I've been taking the higher dose for a month. The mirtazapine I have only been on for 2 weeks. I'm so shaken today. I actually slept last night after 2 nights of being unable to but I woke up with a start after 30 mins of going off then I fell back to sleep and woke with the worst headache ever. I took painkillers then slept till 8.30 but all day I've struggled. I'm back at the docs 4.30 to see what can be done or whether it's just a waiting game x
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel poppet...I got a reduced dose of zopiclone yesterday. I was taking 7.5mgs then broke them in half, which was still effective. I jumped the gun last night and broke the 3.75mgs......big mistake as I got myself in such state and couldn't sleep so had to take the other half eventually.

Amongst other things, I feel really shakey and clumsy today!

Good luck at docs and let me know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi Gill, just checking how you are today and how you got on at GP yesterday?x
    • Posted

hi

doc has upped mirtazapine to two a night because he says he needs to treat the depression which will help ease the anxiety and eventually my insomnia. I was awake all night, lying in bed for an hour then getting up and going downstairs then repeating this process. I managed to get half hour sleep from 5am then I nodded back off from 7.30-9am. Felt positive this morn, put washing in, walked to shops, made a positivity list then boom! At 1pm I just burst into tears and was so sad. My mum popped up and this passed and moved onto feeling shakes followed by a tight chest. 

Im just so sick of this constant battle. I just feel like I'm going through the motions and it's hard. I've got my first cbt session next week then will see the doc fri who said he might decrease the morn Prozac with a view to speaking to the community mental health who can advise on a substitute to Prozac but something that he can only prescribe on their advice. I know I'm making small steps but I really want to get back to normal or at least have some anxiety/depression free time. How you today? Xx

• Posted

Oh Gill I totally get what you're saying, honestly I do.

It's so upsetting when doc talks about changing meds as it feels like a massive step back. I find that so many side effect symptoms of prozac are so similar to anxiety/depression symptoms that its hard to know what emotions belong to what!!

I had a better morning for a change but feel quite shaky this afternoon and not concentrating very well. I'm irritable too as I'm due on any day.

I take my whole dose in the mornings as I always have so I think I'll stick to that pattern.

I know that every minute of every day is a battle but I'm of the mindset that if the tabs worked before then they will again......just seems to be taking forever and it's unbearable.

Have you thought about giving the prozac a little longer to kick in? From my past experiences it took several weeks to start making very subtle changes and although on my bad days I feel like I'm no further down the line but on my 'better' days I have a few glimpses of the old me. They are tiny glimpses but I have to believe that the episodes will increase little by little. We need something to hold onto, even though the days are nasty, bleak and bloody relentless!

Another user on here recommended a book on CBT called CBT For Dummies which I have just downloaded on my kindle....I'm gonna start it tomorrow.

Let's try and chat every day hun so we can keep supporting each other xxxxxx

• Posted

Yes Claire I'd like to chat each day and support each other through this. Think the doc will just see how I respond to the meds before reducing or replacing the Prozac. I'm also of the belief that tablets need time to work but I'm too impatient and my doc is really good and  will only change them if necessary. 

Funny thing is, my mood sort of lifts around 6pm every night where I just feel quite detached although the tight chest is there. Maybes the Prozac are causing side effects which resembles anxiety. Who knows? I do know that they upset my stomach and I have to force food down. 

So what's the zoplicone for? Is that all you take alongside Prozac? Xxxx

• Posted

Yes my mood lifts later in the day too.....but I hate the fact that I only relax as I know I'm going to get some sleep.....Zopiclone is sleeping tablet. I break them in half now which helps but then I'm afraid I wont be able to sleep without them in the future!

I don't take anything else apart from those meds.

Let's hope for a good night's sleep and a kinder day tomorrow xxxxxx

• Posted

My doc is dead against sleeping tablets so won't prescribe them. The mirtazapine is supPosed to have a sedative effect but as you increase the dose this lessens. 

Right back at you for a good nights sleep and a kinder day tomorrow xxxx

• Posted

Am the exact same. I had an accident that caused me to pass out and resulted in needing an operation in my leg, at first I was fine, and then it just hit me, I was started on Medication for it a few weeks ago. And I felt normal for like a week, and I feel recently an just as bad again, I just want to have a normal life again😣
    • Posted

Hi Victoria. I did respond to you but cant see my reply? Did you receive anything from me?x
    • Posted

Sorry Victoria, no idea where my message ended up!

I was wondering what meds you are on and how you're feeling today?

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it recently xx

• Posted

I don't know the name of them, all I know is there a natural medication, feels like am constantly going back to where I started, I am feeling not too bad, been a hard day today felt really shakey today, I was told I could up my intake of them, but I don't feel that's making any difference, horrible to feel they're gonna have to chance them, just wanna have something that works for me, and something that can make me feel normal again, pretty hard on my relationship as well
    • Posted

Hi Victoria......have you thought about taking a prescribed antidepressant as I think you may get better results?

I know they're not everyone's choice but it's worth considering?x

• Posted

Hey, I think that's the next step my gp is wanting me to take, this is the first medication, I've taken for it, don't really feel it's made any difference, at night aswell I can never settle enough to sleep, and when I sleep. It's never a full night, my doctor has sent me to speak to someone, just waiting for them to get back to me, but am sure the doctor said if these didn't work they would try something else, it's just the thought of maybe nothing's gonna help my life get back to normal
    • Posted

I know its so hard not to feel negative but you will get better......we all will but its a hard, long and nasty process but it has to pass eventually.

Don't suffer any longer than you have to.....get on the meds asap. They're not addictive but do take time to kick in so try to be patient (if only I could listen to my own advice!).

I am taking a low dose sleeping tablet which helps as although I still wake up during the night, I generally manage to nod off again.

Keel me posted and I hope you have a good night's sleep and a.better day tomorrow xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.