4 weeks into setraline- cant sleep, feel awful.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on setraline 4 weeks. Cant sleep because i can hear and feel my heart beat loudly and am currently signed off work. I have had depression before and used setraline but dont remember it being this bad. At docs on monday again to discuss.

Any ideas welcome

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How horrible Geoff, however it is typical I can assure you. The heartbeat thing was something I had frequently for about 4/6 weeks along with constant nausia that enabled me to lose a stone in about a month. Had to make myself eat and get out of bed most days as just felt phazed out. BUT, I'm about eight weeks in and still just on 50mg and....................things are OK and getting better. I'm even going out and wanting to do some stuff. The nausia went about two weeks back and guess what, weight coming back on....pah!

So Geoff. hang in there.....yes please try as although this drug is sh#te it does work if you give it time.

OK I've had to get myself Counselling and Hypnotherapy and I have some beta Blockers in case of emergency, but I really am feeling better; not totally my old daft self but mostly.

My advice for what it's worth, stick top this dose for at least 6/8 weeks, get some relaxation sorted, go for walks is you can and as far ast that heart beat goes.....if it's there you are still alive! I use it to time my breathing exercises and I can also make by beat slow down considerably by relaxation and Mindfulness thinking.

Sleep.......I have some good nights and some mostly listening to BBC World Service on and off as I doze. That soon gets very dull and so radio 4 Xtra is an option. Again, after about 8 weeks your sleep pattern should settle down.

The best thing that this drug has done for me is for me to recognise the links beween head and gut/body. Listen to the body, relax the head, then relax the body gradually letting go of crap in your head. It took me about a month to get into it alng with Tai Chi and some gym + walking and gardening (well a bit of gardening!!!!!!)

Set yourself a challenge to change your life in 8 weeks. I promise you it will be better. there will be #### days but forget them and remember the lovely minutes/hours and then, eventually, days. 

All the very best,

Phil

• Posted

I think I can understand that Geoff. I have been in some very dark places matey. If it really is very bad then please phone Samitans if you have no one to listen. They are there for just this sort of support; don't suffer alone.

Phil

• Posted

Hi Geoff, im on 150 sert and it affects my sleep too so when i need a guaranteed good nights sleep i take a sominex (from chemist). Ive been on sertraline for 4 mths for anxiety disorder. I also take betablockers for palpitations/effects of adrenalin from panic attacks, theyve helped a lot. Like you i felt my life had fallen apart but once youre on the right dose for a while things improve. Maybe you need to up your dose? My doc let me have diazepam when i was struggling with the side effects of Sert, 2mg was enough to chill me out, enough to do normal things like work/shopping/meeting a friend. I still occasionally have one now if im feeling anxious but got a few things i want/need to do. Some people are given diazepam to take at night to help them sleep while on Sert. Also, i set lcb radio (chat) on my phone on timer and it lulls me off to sleep quickly. I know what you mean about the heartbeat thing, it sometimes happens to me so i cant sleep with ear on pillow! I suffer from palpitations, very disconcerting. Hope you get a few ideas on here to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.