4 weeks later

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks I'm now 4 weeks after a Bilateral Salpingo Oopharectomy. Got letter from hospital telling me the bits and pieces that were sent of to be tested are all fine which is a relief to me. Also been told no follow up appointment needed. I have a 3 to 4 inch scar which is giving me quite a lot of bother ie sharp shooting pains think maybe one of the stiches hasn't dissolved but because scar was bleeding don't know if its just dried blood.Going to try and see nurse tomorrow. This procedure has been put down on my records as laproscopic. Has anyone else had this procedure done with as big a scar where it has been classed as keyhole? I am 66 years of age and don't want to bother my doctor if it is normal but I thought I would be well on my way to recovery by now and although I am feeling lots better than I did I am still finding myself getting very tired after doing simple things. Just looking for some advice please. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Irene,

At 67, I had my uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes removed in July. Usually, external stitches heal in 6 to 8 weeks, but sometimes there are problems, the stitches don't dissolve, etc.  I also had problems with a couple of my small ( 1.5"wink incisions.  They're still tender and red after all this time. They're not infected.

As for internal healing, it can take up to 6 months or more, each person is different.  It took me till the middle of November to be able to walk any distance for exercise and to do my chores without having to rest between them.  Get as much rest as you need, and don't put yourself on any schedule.  Do what's right for you! The more you allow yourself time to get better, the sooner you'll feel better.  

Best of luck to you! Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you lynda for your reply. I thought because I didn't have the uterus removed I would be a lot better than I am just now but I guess it was just me. I get so angry with myself for not being able to do things without feeling washed out. I guess it is just going to take a good wee while yet. Need to get my knitting out I'm thinking.

• Posted

Please try not to get frustrated.  Everyone heals differently.  My doctor told me, "in three weeks you're going to start feeling much better."  That seems to be what they say to everyone.  

One of my friends is a nurse that deals with patients post-surgically.  She said that all of the doctors she works for say the same thing.  Then the patients call in at 6 weeks, frightened and worried because they haven't bounced back and thinking that there's something wrong with them because they haven't!

So, just let it takes as long as it takes.  You have enough to deal with!  xx

• Posted

Hello Irene, I think it will take another 2-3 weeks before you will be feeling a lot better than you do now.  I am 11 weeks past surgery now and I do feel loads better.  I think it is wise of you to see the nurse because of the bleeding, just in case you have any sort of infection, although it could be dried blood as you say, but it is better to be safe than sorry.  You will still feel tired for a while yet, so don't try to do too much and don't push yourself.  The internal part of you needs time to settle down properly, after all it is quite a big operation,  the shooting pains may be all the insides knitting together again.  Hope you go on okay and look on the bright side that everything has been tested and its all okay.  Mine were all okay too and I am now discharged from the hospital.  I had open surgery and have a scar about 8 inches long and it itches occasionally, but I resist the urge to scratch!  I am 73 by the way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.