4 weeks on 100 mg, still bad days only

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone!

I have upped my dose to 100mg after being on 50 for 12 weeks. I have had very few better days on 50mg, something like 1 per week. After went up to 100mg the first week was good, had 3 good days in a row which I didnt have for a half year but a week later it started to get worse and worse. Today is the last day of the 4th week. In the past weeks I spent my time at home, left home only for a couple of times for a short walk, constantly feeling low, depressed, had 1 or to anxiety attack every day, struggling badly.

Is there anyone who went through on a hard time like this and then had success? I really dont know if it is worth it sticking with this med or I should try another one. I see many many other ppl got much better by this time 😦 Losing hope 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi, thanks for sharing your story. A big part of depression is not being able to see hope and see a way out. I feel the same.

I've spent about 4 months on 75mg sertraline and felt no effects. Still chronically exhausted, isolating myself and feeling sad/numb and suicidal. My story is a bit sad, since I ended up being involuntarily admitted to a psych ward. Over the course of 5 weeks they stepped up my dose to 300mg/d (off label) and now about 5(inpatient) + 2(outpatient) weeks later i'm slowly starting to feel the effects. Moral of the story - every body is different. Every body would metabolize the drug differently and feel a different responce. On a good side my psychiatrist told me that zoloft was shown to be one of the more effective anti-depressants - more people feel the effects of it and it has less side effects. So you might be on the right track.

Be patient with yourself and be kind to yourself. Comparisons with other people would only bring you down and make you more anxious. Book to see you doctor again and describe the situation. They would know best the steps for you to proceed with!

Best!

• Posted

Hi s4shenk4

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Posted

Thanks very much for taking the time for replying! You have been given me hope. Unfortunately my GP is useless, she thinks I should drop back my dose to 50mg which obviously wouldnt help as I spent 12 weeks on 50 and wasnt better at all. I asked her for a referal to a psychiatrist but she wouldnt do that saying she needs to do as much first as she can. I feel trapped, cant afford a private doc, no Idea what to do. Only thing I can do is waiting. Worst thing is being in doubt, still dont know if this med will work or not.. I wish you the best, hope it will continue improving for you!

• Posted

That is a difficult situation you are in. Did you ask your doctor why did she lower the dose instead of increasing? It might be that she is working on taking you off Zoloft and then putting you on a different medication. (since this one didn't work for you).

Wishing the best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.