4 weeks on Fluoxetine and feeling desperate!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I am new to this forum but am feeling so so low that i thought i would try and see if anyone else had felt the same.

I went to the doctors 4 and a half weeks ago with severe health anxiety, my Mum died of cancer at my age and my brother is now terminally ill so every ache or pain i get i worry I am seriously ill. I am having tests for various things but felt I needed something to help with my anxiety so doctor prescribed Fluoxetine. I have had the worst time since starting it, shakes, severe neck tension, increased anxiety, insomnia. I am on day 32 and today feel worse than ever, I can't stop crying and can t move from my bed. Should I stop taking it? I can't cope any more, I just want to feel normal again!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melanie, I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough go on flou. What you are feeling is unfortunately pretty typical for many. Your anxiety etc. can get worse before it gets better. But it will get better. All the side effects you are having happened to me and many others on this site. I am week 10 of my third increase. I am doing much better now since week eight. Sometimes flou. Can take up to 12 weeks to see a difference. This is a slow acting drug. It takes time to settle in your system. Don't be afraid as you are not alone. Many of us have struggled with the exact same problems but with patience, compassion and understanding for ourselves we have healed. Try not to fight the anxiety or be afraid of it. It is just built up adrenaline in your system. Try slow deep breathing, meditation, mindfulness, exercise or games, puzzles and tv to distract yourself. I know you are feeling horrible but staying in bed just feeds the anxiety. Try and go for a walk, pay attention to sights, sounds and smells around you. Pick one thing to accomplish each day. Find ways to get out of your head with distractions. I know thoughts are swirling endlessly inside but that doesn't make them true. If you need to talk or have questions I am here for you.

Try to rest when necessary and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Very sorry for your loss and current illness with your brother.

25 year's with SSRI's knowing what I know now, I would have never taken in the first place. To many side effects and long term issues. Very different to get off. Cognitive behavioral therapy and so many other things to do first before ever considering a psych meds. Look up drug awareness . Org. Ann Blayk-Tracy. Do as much studying on this med as you can. I made the mistake of trusting my psychiatrist who always choose a SSRI or benzo's.

Just my experience. Takes many weeks to months to stabilize and figure if it's even going to do anything.

Exercise, magnesium glycinate and theonate, Omega 3s with high DHA EPA, meditation, support groups, clean eating, plenty of sleep and water.

Just my experience. SSRI's are poison to the brain. My experience.

• Posted

CBD oil was a big help during my toughest times also.

• Posted

Hi there,

I just wanted to give you some reassurance. I suffer from similar issues and have been on Prozac for 9 weeks now. The first four weeks were the worst, though at week 3 I thought I was getting better. Then at the same time frame as you, I hit rock bottom. I thought about going to a mental hospital.

But, over the next few weeks my anxiety and desperation and negative thoughts subsided and I started having more up days. I had blip the past couple days but the week before that my anxiety was lower and my week was up. A lot of people don't stabilize until after 12 weeks, though you'll surely feel some benefits before then.

Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.