4 weeks on Sertaline good and now a little worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi been on Sertaline now for abut 4 weeks..Maybe nearer 5. I started on 25mg and now been on 50 for around 2 or 3 weeks.

My mood has definitely improved and I am alot calmer. However I have been getting alot of tingling and tightness in my left arm and hand along with sweaty feet. Surely if I was going to have a reaction I would have had it by now?

I seem to keep thinking that the meds are controlling me.. Anxiety totally suck. . Hate it

Please help

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi jay. I've been on sertraline for about 2/3 months now.

Started on 50mg and am now on 100.

For the first month or so I had no side effects that I noticed what so ever, but I get the tingling too but in my legs and my sleep suffers a lot now.

I was given sertraline for depression and I'm on propranolol for anxiety disorder.

I'd say from my experience on sertraline and the other medications I have been on that side effects can pop up at any time (for me anyway). If I do find myself getting side effects which has only happened on 2 of the 9 medications I've been on, it tends to happen a few weeks down the line rather than the start. I don't know if this is because it takes a while for medications to get into your system properly or of its just me but I wouldn't worry too much, Maybe you should consult your GP if you're worrying as its not going to help your anxiety much by having that on your shoulders.

• Posted

Thanks Kellie. I am just such a worrier. I have been so good on the meds as believe me I panic even when taking paracetamol.

I guess it's in my head. My gp is away on hols and the other guy is a bit of a twit..

• Posted

Well the body does need time to absord the meds., and everbodys rate of absordtion differs. It's not unusual to have side effects for 6-8 weeks or so. If the symptoms are worrying you then you need to speak to your GP for reassurance. On the bright side you feel calmer so this is a positive.

Meds are not controlling you. They are an aid, as is any med, to assist coping and healing when we are in need of medical assistance so don't fear them.

• Posted

Thanks Helen. I do without a doubt feel so much better and I'm sure it is me bringing on the anxiety.

Hope you are doing well. X

• Posted

I'm glad you are feeling better honey!!! I know it's scarey taking meds, especially when we hear about side-effects so much these days! Ah, the power of the Internet...sigh...I think the problem with anxiety meds for first time users is they view them with trepidation. Oh, it's mind altering! is the common fear.it's far more frightening in one's imagination than the reality of it.

You like as not are "watching" your body for signs of how the meds are affecting you, thus adding anxiety. But everyone with AD does that, Jay. Focus on the positivity of feeling calmer, put aside your fears concerning meds..I've been on them for donkey's years and not ashamed to admit it smile They have been a Godsend, have allowed me to live a normal life as opposed to being overwhelmed with AD/panic attacks. If the eyesight fails, we wear spectacles, if the hearing fails we get a hearing aid, and so on and so forth. So if the mind needs meds then so be it.

I'm so glad you're doing well!

Hugs from Helen.

• Posted

Thanks Helen. Your words are always a comfort as you know when we feel good we can give great advice but when we have off days we sometimes need some reassurance. Guess I'm having one of those days. I'm finding so much more good than bad but I am expecting miracles which I know isn't going to happen as I have to work with the meds and not against them.

I don't get why all of a sudden I think I'm having side effects.. its been weeks now and I had the side effects the first few weeks. Last night was the first night I didn't take a diazipam so I wonder if it's just me actually feeling the sertaline in its true form now.

I'm sat drinking the horse piddle (camomile ) and it does help

Hugs back

• Posted

You know, Jay, you have been amazing! I'm really proud of the way you have coped and how you have taken positive steps to help yourself. It's not easy, it's easier to crumble under the weight of the anxiety. But not you! You have courage, honey. It's that courage that will see you through this. Your staying power with the horse piddle?  Awesome, lol

Well done!!! Hugs xxx

• Posted

Thankyou Helen tbh I I don't feel strong today but I guess all of us who have "this" are strong and hopefully we will come out of this one day soon.

Just having a bad day today and compared to before.. everyday was a bad day.

Lovies x x

• Posted

It's tiring, coping every day, Jay. Maybe you're having a bad day because you were worried about the tingling/tightness/sweaty feet?  That won't help. I told you before and I'll say this again, Jay, I have every confidence that you will get through this! Please make sure you are eating and keeping hydrated because you know that's important. And the breathing excercises!! Lol, I sound like a sergeant major, Do this! Do that!

Many hugs xxx

• Posted

What anxiety medication are you on Helen if you don't mind me asking? So much of your advice is brilliant I wish I could think like you lol! x

• Posted

I'm on sertraline 50mg. To be honest the first few weeks were not very pleasant. But I stuck it out ( cussing and complaining and wallowing in self-pity, brave soul that I am !) and I'm glad I did. I was on dosulepin for years which wasn't much use but I was scared of being worse, so it was a case of something was better than nothing. My old GP retired and put me on the sertraline about 8 months ago which is far more effective. I believe that dosulepin is discontinued now, it's very much old news, bit like my good self, lol!

You don't want to think like me honey. Trust me on that! Ize odd, lol smile

• Posted

I should have said my new GP put me on sertraline, sigh ( Told you I was odd!) Mind you, my new GP comes with an added bonus of being a good looking devil. Quite brightens my day seeing him. I might be of mature years, lol, but I ain't dead from the ankle up after all!. He's a vast improvement on the old fart I used to have to sit before and bare my soul ( and at times my body,redface. ( nah, I loved him really )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.