4 weeks on sertraline feeling worse

Posted , 17 users are following.

hi new to the site, as probably most of you i frantically read reviews on the net and most people say they feel better within 4 weeks, i started taking sertraline 4 weeks ago today, first 2 weeks on 50mg and the second 2 weeks on 100mg for post natal depression and anxiety disorder, the past couple of days i felt the depression worsen and today the panic has been unbearable like adrenaline rushing through my body i havent wanted to get out of bed much today which isnt like me, i just wondered if anyone had any positive stories of possibly feeling worse at week 4 then getting better? thank you

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hey im on week 8 and let me tell you it has kicked in 😃 give it time it gets worse before it gets good.I posted my update but its being moderated take a chance to reas once its up

• Posted

hi jess 😃 thank you! what dose are you on and did you find week 4 worse? and was it week 8 that you seen a turning point? sorry for all of the questions! lol thank you x

• Edited

hi chelsea ,, im on day 6 & my anxiety & intrusive thoughts have been the worse ive ever experienced, if it wasnt for diazepan i would have given up. im finding this very scary & wonder if im ever going to get better

• Edited

hi Chrissy honestly i can totally relate with you on this, dont be afraid to use the diazepam as that is what its there for, and if you need to have a nap if you feel drowsy also do that, i find putting on some upbeat music and just doing some star jumps a huge help too and running on the spot i call it "burning the anxiety off" over the course of the 4 weeks i have became more anxious and leaving the house less and less however with these meds it is hugely common to get worse before better i am told, even though everyday is a huge struggle just think keep going as the alternative would be to go on something else which could also be the same making our anxiety worse, we WILL get there!! im going to start writing down my 5 positives of the day even if its a simple thing like managed time out of bed or got dressed or did the washing up etc! my therapist also says to say outloud "yep anxiety youre there and thats fine" that way youre accepting it and not fighting it and it will apparently get bored, "i wish i could take my own advice" lol please keep me updated on your journey and each day your closer than the last to that light at the end of the tunnel!

• Posted

i have been on sertraline 34 days, on 9 days of this on 50mg. it has been absolute hell most of the time. increased anxiety and nausea. Two lots of anti nausea made things worse!!! However, finally getting good days!!! Ive stuck with it because of these sites. ive been given diazepan to take as and when, however this causes further anxiety as im worried about addiction! However, im getting there!!! Keep going. you WILL get there. Don't believe the first two weeks side effects will go. They don't!!!!

• Posted

hi chelsea im just finishing my 3rd week on sertraline 50 mg after coming off citalopram , feeling alot better than i did on cit , the intrusive thoughts is the worst part

• Posted

aw so pleased that you are feeling a lot better 😃 unfortunately im on week 5 and week 3 of 100mg and feel terrible this morning intrusive thoughts which is causing huge panic im unsure how to get out of that feeling today 😦 do you have good and bad days? x

• Posted

I had bad days for 3 n half months on citalopram lol , iv been having good parts of days on sertraline i havent had a full day where i havent had intrusive thoughts or anxiety yet, think its only a small percentage who get better in 4 week id say more like 12 week

• Posted

Yes, intrusive thoughts was the HARDEST part for me, too. I would take any medicine that would ultimately stop the intrusive thoughts along with that horrendous feeling of anxiety. Sertraline has helped me enormously. I am actually getting better, and you will too.

• Posted

hi hun im on week 5 and intrusive thoughts are the worsed for me they set my anxiety off im having them now and heightened anxiety i feel like there is too much adrenaline running through me, is this normal for this stage still? and what did you do to overcome it? xx

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this. Yes I still experienced the horrendous anxiety at 5 weeks, but it was not as constant as in earlier weeks. But, if I increased my dose of Sertraline, then the intrusive thoughts and that "adrenaline" feeling of anxiety returned with a vengeance. So, at that time, I increased my Valium (with doctor's awareness of course). and I laid in bed until it passed. That is what I did. It was so hard. But I was determined to believe the people on this forum who said it would pass in time. And it did. It really did.

I had no choice, because I KNEW I could not live with anxiety anymore. The hard part is being patient, waiting for the Sertraline to kick in. Be as kind to yourself as possible. Do what it takes to get through the moment, because you ARE getting better. Honestly, I experienced what you are going through. But the Sertraline is working for you, because after 13 weeks, I feel 75% better, and I am hoping for at least 90%. Please continue to reach out to this forum for support, because we are looking forward to that time (very soon) when you pass these side effects, and begin to heal. God bless you.

• Posted

hi there, I'm not too sure if you're still on this forum as this was a while ago but I'm 4 weeks on sertraline (at 100mg right now for coming up on 2 weeks) and I'm not doing well. I can't stop crying and feel nauseous all the time and have been off work for over a month now. I'm working with my healthcare team and staying at my parents so I'm monitored and have food brought to me but they don't really know what to do anymore. I feel like it should be getting better but it's not. This is my second time on the medication (i got off like 6 months ago, after taking it for 2 years at 200mg) and the first time round, I didn't have any side effects so my doc figured I wouldn't this time either so it is baffling to try to understand what's going on. I just want to feel better with some relief. Any help would really help me through. 😦 I wanted to see if it got better for you.

• Posted

hi...not sure if anyone is still looking on here. i'm 4 weeks on sertraline (50mg for first two weeks, 100mg for second two) and i feel shocking. i have really bad health anxiety so every side effect is freaking me out. i barely sleep so lay awake with adrenaline coursing through my body. mornings are the worst. just needed to reach out to some like minded people for comfort. i feel like i'll never be myself again x

• Posted

what happened after may i ask am in similar situation atm, hope it worked out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.