4 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on 13 Dec 2017. I still have my ovaries. My recovery has been progressing well. I walk everyday as advised by my physiotherapist. I am not lifting anything heavy, but have started some household chores. I stopped taking pain medication about 2.5 weeks after my operation since I was experiencing mild or no pain at times. If I had mild pain, resting by lying down alleviated it . A few days ago, I started experiencing stinging pain around the incision and groin area. I am sore and still have numbness and swelling on my lower abdomen. I am concerned about the sudden onset of stinging pain and discomfort I am experiencing. I will be going back to work in 10 days and pray that my health improves greatly before then.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi n67596, congrats on your recovery it sounds like you've done great hope I do as well as you I go in Friday for a full hysterectomy, as you said I think you just got to know when to rest that's what I plan to do as I don't want to be on too many pain killers  that will have a adverse effect on my bowels as I've heard that can be a problem in its self , I will let you know how it goes. .xxxx

• Posted

Hi yvonne58517, I hope you have a successful operation and a full and speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks, let's just pray it's not cancelled as a lot at our hospital are getting cancelled due to bed shortage X.

• Posted

It's possible that the nerve endings are "waking up."  But, I suggest that you check with your doctor. xx

• Posted

Thank you lynda20916. As I get closer to returning work I am finding that I am more anxious about my recovery. I have a 6-week appointment booked with my gynaecologist.
    • Posted

Hi n67596,   It's not been long since your op you can still take more time off work if you need it don't go back until you are right it isn't worth it you had major surgery .xxx

• Posted

I understand.  You only have this one chance to recover--and your body needs rest to do it.  Each person is different.  Some people are "back to normal" at 6 weeks, other people can take 6 months to a year.  So, take it easy and pace yourself. xx

• Posted

Hi. My surgery was may30th I have 1 ovary left. I slept in my recliner for 2 weeks. Made it to the bed and still have issues rolling over and getting up. It's getting better. I returned to work 2 weeks later. I started doing light house work, yea right all the house work 3 weeks in. I sit alot for work 10 hr days, so my recovery will take longer. The area swells up after working. Still hard to bend over but I try every day to so a little bit more or squat like a frog to pick things up. I am still very tired. I take tylenol 625 but they dont help with the pain due to sitting all day. I still burning sensation and bbn pain when I urinate. Dr gave me antibiotics but still present. I go frequently like every 20 mins and takes me 20 mins to go. Its lime I have 2 bladders. Once drains and then the second within the 20 mins. Is that normal? I still cant walk for lo g time maybe 20 mins and the pain sets in and now I waddle.. lol.

Any tips?

Thanks

Heather

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.