4 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post op from my front and back prolapse surgery and while I am not totally pain free, is now feeling much easier. Fingers crossed I continue this way. Still have 2 weeks before thinking about going back to work.still resting and still feel tired.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I think you will need more than another 2 weeks off work carolyn. I don't know what you do but 6 weeks isn't really long enough.
    • Posted

Thanks matron, I am due to see my consultant on 24th, although I'm in agreement with you, at the moment I don't feel ready. I work as a secretary in the nhs so sitting most of the day.
    • Posted

See what your consultant says carolyn because sitting for long periods can be very uncomfortable. It helps though if you can walk around every hour or so. Have you considered phased return, I did that for what should have been 4 weeks but felt OK so went back full time after 3 having said that I was off for 13 weeks. 
    • Posted

Yes I'm also waiting to see occupational health so they will determine what it should be. I can get up and walk around, that's not a problem.
    • Posted

That's good carolyn it will definitely make your return to work much easier.
    • Posted

I have also had this op along with other things but my consultant said to me I should be off for 3 months even if I was just have the prolapse repair as you need to make sure all the inside work has healed even if you feel well on the outside. Nobody wants to undo what they e has repaired so take care. X
    • Posted

Well said Fi-45 I always say don't undo your consultants good work 
  • Posted

Hello, I am in much the same boat, I am 4 weeks and 1 day now post surgery.

Currently nursing a suspected bladder infection which is making me rather tired but the stiches have recently started feeling a lot better and moving around is easier.

I am still focussing on spending plenty of time with my feet up reading or watching TV but do feel I am making steady progress.

I too am due back in just over 2 weeks. That said I will see how I feel, if I am not up to it I will get signed off again. My work are really good though, I have already emailed them to say that it is likely that I will not be able to travel in (an hour each way) and will have to work from home and that I may well need to lay down every hour or so. My boss was perfectly happy with that and since I only work 2 1/2 days anyway I can spread this over 5 days and do a small amount each day if required.

Still that is a couple of weeks away yet, plenty more reading to do before then!

• Posted

Hi chic, I am glad you are feeling better, I have had the same operation I have started to see small improvement daily today being the best so far without the yummy pain with wind.

the heaveyness as slowed down a bit which I think is the swelling but all I have done is rest, are you up and about and for how long befor you rest just being nosey x

• Posted

Hi Gillian, think I may have been a bit to optimistic, feeling quite heavy at the moment, just been to lie down to see if that helped but not really. I have been pottering around more today. Changed the bed sheet, wiped kitchen tops, bit of washing, that sort of thing but no lifting. One step forward and two steps back.
    • Posted

The good thing about having a hysterectomy is that you aren't restricted so much with what you can and can't do. With prolapse surgery you have to rest completely for at least 2 weeks but after a hysterectomy you can be back at work after 4 weeks.
    • Posted

Carolyn so sorry I know you haven't had a hysterectomy. Getting confused!!! 
    • Posted

That's not what I was told. I was told I couldn't return for up to 8-12 weeks. That was before they decided to do the other procedures aswell. I suppose it depends on your job too.
    • Posted

A lot does depend on your job and also how well you are healing which is why I think a post op appointment is so important and I would recommend if you had a Urogynaecologist who doesn't see you post operatively then you see your GP. Going back to work before you have healed is not advisable because you could undo all your consultants  good work 
    • Posted

Fortunately things have changed since 20 years ago and when I had a hysterectomy in 1990. It was major surgery when you and I had the operation but now it's sometimes done as a day case. In 1990 I had to beg to be discharged after 6 days!
    • Posted

Well it's performed by laparoscopic surgery so very small incisions 
    • Posted

Hi babe, you need to slow down he only thing I Have done is make a cuppa and my lunch please rest it is your body telling you to rest, lay down on the bed feet up and do nothing for next few days you have had a major operation love xx
    • Posted

I had laparoscopic nephrectomy 4 years ago and only had 6 weeks off, recovery quicker for lap
    • Posted

It is carolyn. The best thing that happened as far as surgery is concerned 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.