4 weeks post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

its 4 weeks since my right hemicolectomy, I was in for 3 weeks for tpn. I've gained about a stone and now the physical pain is passing I'm starting to be more and more anxious. Keep wondering how long will this be better for? What's normal what's not? I'm still have liquid poops and they burn like hell. Having read other posts, is this bile acid?

ive not got a follow up yet as I was missed in the system so I've been told it will either be January or march.

i have severe anxiety anyway, the hospital were great and kept me in aside room. I didn't want to see people anyway and became I think depressed. I'm wondering if anyone else became more anxious after surgery? Ive been having hospital flashbacks and all sorts.

the surgeon kept telling me I was very brave, in fact I am just very very scared!

i hope everyone is doing ok, on this not such fun journey of crohns. I guess one thing is it's great having people to reach out too.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There has been extensive research on the gut flora and mental condition. It is super important to maintain the flora or you can experience a lot of mental issues. I would start taking a probiotic and eat foods like yogurt to replenish the flora that was lost or damaged as a result of the surgery. I think then your mood will stabilize. Hang in there, I have Crohns Disease as well and I know what a burden it can be.
  • Posted

Hi, I had an Ileocaecal resection, when I had my first drink on recovery I wondered if it might leak, then I was frightened to eat anything other than bland food, I lived on chicken for weeks after until I was sick at the thought of it. Shopping was a nightmare, I felt physically sick every time I tried to think of what to buy. I lost 15kg and it took a long time to get my energy levels up again. Having suffered from depression/anxiety in the past I did really well coping with the op, it was decided to do it in the space of a couple of weeks when my son and other family had already booked trips away but they were back by the time I left hospital after 11 days. The only thing I would change is having a spinal block for the pain, it didn't work. 

I would say it is still early days for you and it is bound to have exacerbated your anxiety. Write down every little thing you experience and are worried about so you don't forget what to ask at your follow up. Maybe even jot down how you are feeling each day so you can see improvements as time goes on. Everyone's journey is different as is everyone's Crohn's symptoms.

Don't know about your bowels, I didn't know until 6 month's after that it was bile salts, I thought I was still in a settling down phase. 

Take each day as it comes and try not to stress out, you HAVE been brave, it was a major op so you are allowed a wobble or two!

• Posted

thank you!

i declined the spinal block and was saying I wish I'd had it which I don't remember.

ironically my daughter went away the day before surgery too. 

I guess it's a shock to the system, and when you've been ill before the lead up etc , your coping skills are less.

i hope you're doing well .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.