4 weeks post op

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I haven't posted for some time but thought it was about time I posted an update - as you'll see from title I am now 4 weeks post op!

For anyone who hasn't read my previous post here's a short recap:

After years of back pain which I was always able to work through I was suddenly hit last August 2016 with excruciating lower back pain that spread within a day to horrific pain from left hip right down my leg. I was in agony, fainting with pain and was rushed to hospital where I was admitted and had range of scans and mri's, query ces. In short, they discovered I had large paracentral broad based disc prolapse L4/L5 (causing the significant pain) with further prolapse further up (which wasn't causing me any pain at that time). I spent a week in hospital on morphine and was then discharged on 2 elbow crutches, on gabapentin, paracetamol and dihydracodeine, was referred to orthopaedic surgeon and physio.... I was then referred to neurosurgeon and was seen in December. Physio was unable to help, after trying variety of treatments, surgeon advised I needed surgery without this there was less than 5% chance of any further recovery. My surgery was cancelled twice (at very last minute while lying in bed in theatre gown etc, fasted from night before etc!) and finally went ahead on 3rd may after being off work almost 9 months.

The surgeon advised me that I had a larger piece of bone removed than he anticipated in order to remove the disc which had bulged right out and up the back, he said to expect to feel pretty rough as a result. My blood pressure was very low for several days which made me very dizzy and sick and although a lot of the leg pain had settled the lower back pain (where my back had been opened) was very painful, tight and stiff which made it very difficult to mobilise in the first few days in hospital. I pushed myself with tiny goals - walking to the toilet in the ward myself, having a shower, sitting up in chair, walking to put rubbish in bin! The physio in hospital was fab and explained the importance of moving - walk for a few mins, sit for no more than 15 mins and lie on side (taking presssure off spine) the rest of time and to slowly and gradually increase walking. No BLT!!! Bending/LiftingTwisting!!!! Was her mantra!!! And sooo important! I got home on day 6 and got the staples (11 staples) out on day 10. Travelling in the car home was tricky... lie front seat as flat as poss and bring a pillow! I found the first week at home tricky but if I'm being honest this was mostly pain from the surgery as the leg pain had settled. First few weeks I found it hard to sleep, woke up if I moved or turned. But that's loads easier now. I am walking without crutch, although walking slowly I have gradually increased distance, again I can't stress enough importance of setting yourself tiny goals. I started walking along garden path to gate and back, then few days later along path outside etc. I am now walking just under half a mile. Prior to surgery I could walk about 20 steps with crutch before having to stop. Still on range of medication although have managed to reduce baclofen and gabapentin by one. Started physio last week, full assessment. Physio advised me that I have significant muscle weakness from buttock right down my left side to toe and nerve damage. Still can't bring my foot up or move big toe. I have tiny exercises to do to begin weakening up the muscles. I see her again next week, she advised me to keep up painkillers to keep me moving for time being.

I have been getting lots of niggles in my left leg, sharp jaggy pain, not on scale it was but if I do too much it's there, also sharp buttock pain (on both sides) again if I overdo it slightly. It's a long haul but I am slowly getting there and I hope this maybe helps others. Friends and family say I don't look in as much pain and that my face looks more relaxed. Not sure about when I'll be able to return to work, physio thinks will be August before I'll be strong enough. Anyone with any questions, please just ask.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All my hip and leg pain was coming from my back . I had spinal fusion Wednesday other than the pain from the surgery the leg pain and hip pain has almost subsided , unreal . Iam mAnaging in the pain on just 1 30 mg dyhrodcodine and 1 paracetamol every 4 hrs , only had one shot of morphine strait after sugery . Taking b12 for nerve repair and arnica tablet s from the herbal shop to reduce pain and swelling inside. Got no appetite though ate very little last few days probably the drugs
  • Posted

Hi Jessica

Glad to hear your op done and that you are making progress, well done. Are you home or still in hospital? I didn't have much appetite for first week or so, think it's the drugs and effects of anaesthetic. Just take it easy and follow all advice.

All the best

• Posted

Only spent 2 night s in hospital. Lay on my back the first night but now can only lie on my side as my back to sore to lie on had a terrible night sleep last night hope tonight a a lot better
  • Posted

Hi Jessica

I think what happens is the first night there is so much pain medication in there it makes it bit easier to lie on your back but by the next day or so that's worn off and the swelling starts kicking in. It took me a week or so to lie on my back and even yet I am more comfortable on my side. I hope you get an easier sleep tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.