4 weeks post op and stomach swelling

Posted , 74 users are following.

Hi I am 4 weeks after a abdominal hysterectomy (still got ovaries).  I thought I had been recovering well with no pain and no complications until now.  I have started to experience stabbing(stinging) pains around my incision and my stomach swells by the end of the day.  I am not lifting but walking around a lot.  Could it be that??

Thanks

0 likes, 131 replies

131 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

I had partial hysterectomy with abdominal surgery and recovered well too but I did notice the stabbing pains after a few weeks. All around the wound.

And the bloating I only really noticed when it suddenly disappeared after a few more weeks.

I thought I'd just out on weight from resting!

6 months later and It still stings a bit and my tummy is still very sensitive and a bit numb but I'm told that will eventually go away.

I think when you recover easily enough after the op these things come as a surprise. You'd forget that it's major surgery.

It's just a little reminder every though time i pull on some jeans.

Jx

• Posted

Hiya Tracey I'm 14 months post op abdominal hysterectomy and still suffering after it still have stabbing sensations at my scar and the pain is horrendous everyday can't go a day without painkillers and the more I do my stomach swells like a balloon it's a never ending cycle wake up a size 6 go 2 bed a size 42 lol I've been back and forth at Dr's and hospital and keep getting told there's nothing they can do but they think I now have adhesions and severe nerve damage keep going back to your Dr until they can help you don't sit and suffer in silence really hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi I'm Amanda and new to this forum. I had an abdominal hystorectomy (ovaries kept) for very heavy constant bleeding and fibroids.

I thought I was doing ok. But 3 days ago I had to visit my husband after his surgery for kidney stent removal. I thought I'd wear my jeans they aren't tight but my abdomen is till swollen. About 15 mins after putting them on I vomited and my abdomen hurt. I've not been well since. My abdomen is uncomfortable and I'm being sick. I tried cleaning the bathroom today ( even though husband said not too) I became weak and again I was sick. Is this normal?..

• Posted

no its not go see your doctor and get some answers its always good to read about everything before and after .. i just had a abnormal hysterectomy as well and kept my ovaries ..i feel the tingling once in a while but i am taking it easy now because i don't want any mistakes .. please be careful .

• Posted

Hi tracey i was four weeks post op on Saturday, I also have the painful stomach and very tender to touch. So glad I'm not alone (in a good way). I've been so ill this weekend, first contispated, then violently sick, which was total horendes, thought I would burst my stiches !!. They put me on anti sickness, but today I feel bloated, so tired and I have only had fruit this morning. I saw the doctor who noticed that stomach and abdoem is very tender. She doesn't feel I have an infection as no temparture, but will send me for a blood test to check. Hope you feel better soon. Has anyone else had sickness?

• Posted

Hi everyone! I’m 3 weeks post op on my third surgery! First one was exploratory and tubal ligation, second one was full hysterectomy, so yes ovaries out too, than third was to remove adhesions and re do the vaginsl cuff incision that did not heal properly due to a nasty infection.... I’m week 2 of recovery, and this surgery might be the hardest recovery so far. I’m having a very sore abdomen, stinging pains, sharp pains- but no fever or redness. My belly feel so big hot and swollen- and let’s not forget the hot flashes!!! Oh did I mention not sleeping! Ahhh 

31 years young.... looking for advice and support. I know it’ll get better... the pain tonight is the worst I have had done the initial 

• Posted

I had  laparoscopic exploratory surgery six weeks ago   They fixed a very small and Billy Cole hernia and they cut down quite a bit of scar tissue the lower left lower right and upper left area  and the first two weeks I have my incision was sore but that got better after 12 days I started getting very stinging burning stabbing knife like pain on the left upper left quad down to beside the belly button it’s very debilitating at times but I think it’s normal having read all these posts it seems to be something that everyone goes through 6 to 8 weeks they say will be  my surgeon in two weeks 
    • Posted

Hi Dana. I feel your pain! I'm 3 and a half weeks post op and I'm having it very hard. Night sweats, sleep deprived, hot flashes, swollen tummy and just overall uncomfortable. Have you had any progress yet? Thanks!

• Posted

yes its normal i get the same thing i just had a abnormal hysterectomy 1 week from today and i feel that tingling feeling .

• Posted

Hello.

It's now 4 weeks since I had a full hysterectomy and bladder and bowel repair. I wanted to let everyone know how I'm feeling and to let anyone else who is going through the same that everything we are going through is normal and that you are all doing great.

Ok 4wks in and I still feel crap: very tired all the time, stinging, pulling, tightness and pain with swollen abdomen. The main thing I find frustrating is the boredom, my mind is active but my body isn't. My advice to everyone who feels the same is to find a craft to do even if it's painting by numbers if you think you're not crafty. Keep yourself occupied but be comfortable, buy a portable table (over bed type) these are great as you can adjust hight . Just remember ladies this is a major op, don't rush, listen to your body and take things at your pace.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. Bladder  & bowel repair on top of hysterectomy ouch.  Did you have ovaries removed as well ( not part of hysterectomy)?

I get what you mean by boredom and tiredness. Take it 1 day at a time. Get as much restas you can.

• Posted

Hi, yes I've had everything taken out including ovaries. I'm trying to keep myself busy by doing crafts however I can't get that comfortable as it hurts, sitting, standing and lying so have to keep move. It's like getting cramp in my stomach at the moment. 😵

• Posted

Hiya Julie I am day 9 post laparoscopic total hysterectomy and experienceing exactly the same symptoms as yourself so this feels reassuring to know thanks 
    • Posted

I had the same surgery 5 weeks ago except for the bowel surgery I did not have that and I still have my ovaries. Im dealing with after having the bladder surgery feeling off and on having to urinate allot and feeling the pressure in a sense like when you have a urinary tract infection but no stinging when I'm done going just the fullness in your pelvic area. I have gotten tested twice for a UTI and it's normal just was wondering if anyone that's had that surgery have that feeling. And also i have the bloated and tightness as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.