4 weeks post op right TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi.I liuve in the UK and am 4 weeks post op and thought I would share my experience so far. I am 56 and had grade 4 OA in right knee , so considering I am a big walker and own a Springer Spaniel I decided surgery was my best option. When discharged I was given Apixaban to thin the blood to prevent DVT, unfortunately, as I pushed myself to soon , this caused a secondary bleed, the pain of which I have never suffered anything like and ended up back in hospital for rest, ice and elevation. This has set me back about 7 days ! I now have approx 85 bend and struggling to straighten my knee but this is coming , through gritted teeth and tears . walking wise, just did about 1/2 mile today with 2 crutches, but only using one around the house.

Would like to hear other peoples stories to compare.

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am eight months post a TKR . I can walk easily with my 85 pound Golden Retreat, even run a little. If told five months ago that I would be pain free, excellent  ROM and functioning normally, I would have cursed and explained that I was in pain, unable to walk without a cane, and barely sleeping.  With lots of PT, exercises at home and determination, I slowly healed. You will too. Take it slowly, listen to your body and continue to ice.  Talk to you doctor about pain management.  It gets easier.

Read a trashy novel. Get a pedicure and have a cookie or three.

Ellie

• Posted

Cheers Ellen, taken on board your advice and have had the pedicure and reading the trashy novel. Sue
  • Posted

Hi Sue

I'm 4 weeks 2 days post op and although the first 2-3 days were hell, I've been off crutches and painkillers since 1 1/2 - 2 weeks and I've been able to walk 4 kms every day since 2 1/2 weeks. Pre op I read all the horror stories but can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made to ha e the op, I wasn't it a lot of pain but was severely arthritic and had a 9 o bend at the knee to my foot (due to having no cartiledge on the left side of my knee) incidentally I'm 53 and originally injured my knee when 17 (snapped acl and medial and torn cartiledge) 

I can now get my leg straight and get about a 95o bend so I'm really happy

• Posted

Once again it shows our healing pace is as different as our fingerprints. Don't be surprised if you get an occasional flairup or minor set back but those go as fast as they come.

• Posted

Hi Sue, hopefully you're getting on better now,than the time you wrote your post. I am now 7 weeks post op and have been very lucky in having a totally uneventful recovery so far. The physio signed me off at 2 weeks and I saw my consultant at 6 weeks who also signed me off and will see me in a year

for an follow up X-ray. 

Having read your post and many others I consider my recovery to be in the minority as so many people have so much pain,unable to sleep and having problems with straightening and bending their knee.

i was discharged at 48 hours and my neighbour lent me a wheeled walking frame,with a seat,which I found far superior and I think safer than the crutches I had been discharged with. I used this for the first 3 weeks and my daughter took my to do my shopping so I used it to walk around the supermarket and could sit down for a rest when I needed to. I progressed to one stick at about week 4 and was going stir crazy in my little flat ,and as I am a none driver, I plucked up the courage to venture into town on the bus! It was far easier getting on and off a bus than it was getting in and out of my daughters car!! I only walked for about 5 minutes and became tired so headed home, but was very proud of myself and a few days later took my shopping trolley and did a little shopping in the supermarket, heaven,normality!!

I've been without any walking aids now for a couple of weeks,but must admit when I first ventured out I would have to stay in the following day and rest and elevate my leg, I had obviously overdone it. We should listen to what our bodies tell us and act accordingly, that's something I tell everyone and now apply it to me too!!

I hope you are getting on a bit better now and have employed a dog walker for your Springer, I certainly would not have been able to cope with dog walking these past few weeks, too worried about a fall. 

• Posted

Thanks Jean. Getting along much better now and yes my dog walker is my husband. You seem so lucky with your recovery, well done you. I will get there eventually, I am a determined woman. Regards. Sue
    • Posted

Glad things are better for you. All days before 3 or 4 months are "early days" and everyone is different. Be kind to yourself and receive all the help and love you can get! It is worth it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.