4 Weeks Post OP Scab Leaking...Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

So about 2 weeks ago I had the staples removed from my ankle wound a couple of them had irritated my skin causing a scab to form next to my incision recently as the scab has gotten smaller its is now directly on my ankle joint location which seems to rub against my walking boot (I am wearing fresh gauze and an ace bandage over my ankle daily aswell). Because of this rubbing it is causing the scan to weep a clearish yellow fluid onto the gauze there isnt a ton of it and its not like it is pus but it causes the area to get moist and the scab to become soft after i let it air out the scab becomes hard again and all is well until this process repeats itself the next day.

I talked to my surgeon he said the area is not infected and just to keep an eye on it but its still worrying me that its delaying my healing or might become infected. Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any advice on something different I should be doing because my doctor isn't being much help right now.      

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So whenever possible have your shoes and socks off and the area open to the air.

You need to stop your shoes rubbing it - wear thick sock - multiple pairs if you have to.

• Posted

So I am not wearing socks and I am still in a walking boot I am wearing gauze and an Ace Bandage then the boot yesterday I even tried to put a regular band-aid over the area and it still happened. and when ever I am at home I do have it open to the air.
  • Posted

Is it rubbing that causes it to weep? If so you need more air pumped into the boot (if it is that kind of boot) or is it perhaps the pressure from the squeezing of the boot that causes it to weep? 

Definitely air-air-air... wear the boot only when you are up and moving. Covering any scab up will soften it, that happens on any part of the body. The ankle is vulnerable as it is the part that sticks out the most. I did not have an incision, but the boot irritated my ankle to the point that it developed an irritated red rash that was only relieved by airing it (and putting on a topical antibiotic cream, as I too was worried about a skin infection, as I am prone to getting them).

• Posted

Honestly I am not exactly 100% what is causing it to weep I just know it only happens when im in the boot I do put air in it so it could simply be due to the pressure. It just really stinks because other then this small area everything else seems to be healing so well and I dont want my recovery to be delayed because of this. 
  • Posted

I had the same problem, I had the pins taken out and my walking boot was rubbing the outside of the ankle, leaking a yellow bloody pus.   I left my boot off because it was constantly irritating it, I kept it open to the air to dry up and covered it with a light bandage at night, it’s healed up now and but the scar looks horrible, I,m 3months post surgery on the 15th and can walk a little with crutches.  I also tried not to get it wet when I showered.
    • Posted

This sounds exactly whats going on the bad part with me is that I am already back at work so not having the boot isnt an option until I go back to wearing a sock and shoe and just use my crutches without the boot the only thing I would be worried about would be accidentally stepping on the foot without the boot protecting it. 
  • Posted

I had the same thing happen to me, it took ages for that one particular scar to heal, however, it did in the end. It never became infected and yes it was the boot that kept it weeping. It all healed now, no worse than the other 5 scars I have on my ankle.

• Posted

I had an issue as well, only my incisions were infected. Now, I am 12 weeks out and have been walking for almost a month. I continue to have pain but only at the incision sites. If I were you I would take the boot off if possible (if you sit at a desk). If your job is on your feet that maybe the cause of the irritation.
  • Posted

I wore wool socks with my boot.  I am almost 6 weeks post op and just went to no boot this week as tolerated.  I had a irritated spot and it turned out I had a retained suture.  I pulled it out and now my ankle is healing up nicely.  The wool keep my foot dray and warm since it is cold in Iowa right now.  Good luck.  I have been back to work part time for 2 weeks now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.