4 weeks post-op TKR

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, I've been reading this blog for about a week and find it helpful. I am having anxiety about my numbers (ROM). Lots of things have improved but the numbers seem to b the defining variable regarding progress. My PT can get me to 120 on flexion (ouch) and 12 on extension. In a month flexion gains were 5 degrees and extension are 3 degrees. I am used to making alot of gains in just about anything I do......but this TKR has been humbling. My PT said we r now moving into a more aggressive phase of treatment.....which suggests to me he wants to get more progress b/4 the window of opportunity closes. I've appreciated the encouragement on this blog especially since I'm not getting it anywhere else. Thank u for being there. Any responses are appreciated. Connie

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Again, I am 6 1/2 weeks post op and had an unusual response during PT. We've been focused on extension (4° passive) and I can only get it to 10°. This last session (40 minutes with short breaks) was intense and I ended up nauseous and a little shockey. Took my regular meds prior to session but these symptoms persisted. Emailed my PT who had some ideas for proceeding with electrical stimulation, moist heat and shortened intense pushing on my knee. I'm holding at 125° bend with 50% assist. I have been reducing the narcotics and put myself on a structured plan yesterday, that allows for a lowered steady blood level....so as to not inadvertently trigger withdrawl symptoms. Adding in more Tylenol and Advil to pick up the slack! I figured getting nauseous while on full dose of narcotics was not serving me well in the sessions (yes, I eat b/4 taking the meds). I am wondering how others reduced their narcotics....what worked, what didn't? Any suggestions? I'm having the other knee done 9 weeks from now, as well. Thank u for your help, Connie

• Posted

p.s. I am 68 years old and this is a first experience. I do have a history of turning pale, dizzy and nauseous when pain is acute. I didn't think this reaction would occur while on meds....but it did! Ugh! thx, Connie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.