4 weeks post total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm at the 4th week now , the awful pain in my calf has at last gone however my thigh muscles on the replacement knee is so tight I can't stretch it up it get socks on .my physiotherapist said this has happened over time as the muscles have shortened to protect the knee .I had this before the operation and thought it would just sort itself out.she has given me specific stretching to do . Has anyone else got this problem? Also the operated knee still feels so heavy and I've noticed when I'm walking my foot is not straight it wants to face inwards ...what's that all about

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Tight hamstrings  are the body's way of instinctively protecting your knee.

I am 8 weeks post op and stretching them is my biggest goal and challenge.

Painful but necessary !

• Posted

Thanks Mike, it gets rather frustrating not being able to get sock or shoe on the foot because of the pain ..I'm going in the hydrotherapy pool next week so hoping that my help

• Posted

That really sounds like a problem with the thigh muscles.  I was walking pigeon toed before the surgery to compensate for the bad knee.  

The surgeon told me that when I am laying in bed to try and keep my foot from slanting to the right.  To try and keep it straight up and down.  I'm trying to do that.  

• Posted

Hi Lywn , now I've noticed I'm doing it I'm trying very hard to walk straight alone with the tight hamstrings it's causing more trouble than the knee lol..I've also been told to massage the knee cap side to side and I can now put cream on the scar

• Posted

Never thought about having trouble with hamstrings.  This is a long road.  Hope you have some improvement soon.  My ankle hurts worse than my knee.  
  • Posted

Hi, I am almost 6 months post op, still getting pulled calf muscles, its very very painful, but you have to stretch your calves as much as possible, with me its because i have been walking so strange to compensate for the pain for so long (over 10 years) it is taken some time to get right but im getting there, hope that helps you x
    • Posted

Hope you improve some every day.  
  • Posted

I’m exactly the same, the cramps in my calf for the first six weeks were terrible, I’m now at 11 weeks and the hamstrings still very tight, I’m stretching all the time because I think that is effecting getting my knee straight and a good Rom, I’m at 106 at the mo. I’m also throwing my foot inwards, I was like that for many years and a bent leg, so yes I think our ligaments and muscles were very compromised, I’m trying very hard to concentrate and keep it straight. Seems like we are having very similar problems, . I had my other knee done 7 months ago and it’s absolutly fine, I chose that one because it wasn’t in such a state as this recent one, so hoping in time I will get to the same place.  Good luck xx
    • Posted

Thank you Jackie ...it gets you down a bit x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.