4 weeks postop - UTI and blood loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi ladies, not sure what to do about this.... Had my checkup at the beginning of the week and all going well except for UTI found, so now taking antibiotics. No blood loss this week but all of a sudden I am bleeding again, same amount as first couple of days postop. I went out today and walked for probs ly 2-3 hours. Have I done too much (I felt ok)? Do i need to ring doc about blood loss or is this within the norm? 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I would see a doctor. I was given antibiotics for a bladder infection which turned out to be a haematoma. New bleeding can sort itself out (mine drained after a day in hospital) but sometimes they have to help it. Even if it's not that, new bleeding needs attention. You'll know if you've walked too much when you get that horrible dragging feeling. Let us know how it goes ~ we all salt away snippets of information about recovery from these surgeries!

Moira

• Posted

Hi Carolannfud       Yes you must go to Dr. as Moira says it could be something minor like a Lesion as I had, but whatever it is you must get it sorted. We would like to know how you get on. You helped me before so hopefully you will get sorted too. Regards Polly
  • Posted

Hi lost you on my IPad, just found you  on my Iphone. How are you now. Moira's reply was sensible. Small bleeds post op can happen, it can be infection or a bit of pulling on the stitches or even clots breaking down. You say the amount was similar to immediately post op. How much was that, I personally didn't have that much really.it didn't sound too bad but I would contact my GP practice. How many days have you been taking the antibiotics? Do you have a temperature. Your Gp practice will want to know this to give you an urgent appt possibly. It may well settle down quickly. How are you feeling now.  2-3 hour walk sounds a lot at this stage but then I am probably a wimp. Someone blogged that you know you have done too much when it hurts/ drags, so I guess I will find out. Hope you are OK

Sue

• Posted

Bleeding seems to have stopped. Sue, I only ever had light loss. Wore panty liners for about 4 days post op. Moira, I didn't get dragging feeling but was fired by the time I got home. I think I did too much but I was feeling fine. Have learnt a lesson. Tried to take my temp but thermometer has a flat battery. Only sign I have of UTI is a slight stinging in vaginal area. This hasn't changed even though I have been on antibiotics for 4 days. My stomach does feel a bit 'draggy' today. I will monitor this morning and if there is more bleeding I will ring the rooms. Thanks everyone 😄
    • Posted

Hi , glad you are feeling better. The blood loss sounds quite light.  I was thinking that doing quite a lot of walking maybe some of the stitches might rub& pull. Stinging in your vagina however is not a urine infection. Stinging in  your bladder entrance , the urethra would be. 4 days of antibiotics I would have thought should have got on top of that. Keep drinking to keep your urine dilute & that should help with the stinging if it's your urethra or your vagina. They say cranberry juice is good for bladder infections. If you'r urine is really strong and you have a fresh wound at the entrance to your vagina, as I have , then it possibly would sting when you pee. I tore when my daughter was born & that was agony when I peed, I used to have  a jug with warm water to pour over me as soon as or even during a pee. A bit messy but oh so worth it! How many more days are you taking the antibiotics for. You can always ask your Gp to do a check urine test afterwards. If your urine is cloudy or smelly then you still have infection & the practise nurse should be able to do dip test which will give a good indication. Did you have a bladder repair as well?

sue

• Posted

Hi , glad you are feeling better. The blood loss sounds quite light.  I was thinking that doing quite a lot of walking maybe some of the stitches might rub& pull. Stinging in your vagina however is not a urine infection. Stinging in  your bladder entrance , the urethra would be. 4 days of antibiotics I would have thought should have got on top of that. Keep drinking to keep your urine dilute & that should help with the stinging if it's your urethra or your vagina. They say cranberry juice is good for bladder infections. If you'r urine is really strong and you have a fresh wound at the entrance to your vagina, as I have , then it possibly would sting when you pee. I tore when my daughter was born & that was agony when I peed, I used to have  a jug with warm water to pour over me as soon as or even during a pee. A bit messy but oh so worth it! How many more days are you taking the antibiotics for. You can always ask your Gp to do a check urine test afterwards. If your urine is cloudy or smelly then you still have infection & the practise nurse should be able to do dip test which will give a good indication. Did you have a bladder repair as well?

sue

• Posted

Hope everything is sorted now Carolannfud. I always know if I have a UTI because my Urine is dark and smelly. Also I find if I do too much I had slight bleeding. My Consultant said it takes a good year to heal.
    • Posted

Yes, I think I did too much. No more bleeding today but tummy a bit tender again whereas last week it was quite pain free. I feel extremely tired and very lethargic and I'm sure that's due to UTI. I don't think the antibiotics are working well. Some antibiotics work straight away for me others have no effect at all. I suspect I have the latter, but I'll keep on taking them and then get urine tested again. Yes, I guess feeling OK is not the go ahead to start doing lots of things. When you're an active person though and you feel alright it's very hard to stop yourself. Oh well. 😞
    • Posted

What antibiotics are you on & how many more to take? Do you think the stinging is to do with your bladder or is it your vagina. Other than the stinging how does your urine look & smell. If the antibiotics aren't working I would be ringing my GP ASAP. Are you emptying your bladder properly. Did you havea bladder  repair. I am finding now if I lean forward there is more to come& I didn't really have bladder symptoms before. The literature says this can happen after the anatomy changes. If you aren't emptying properly you will get repeated infections

Sue

• Posted

When I saw the gynae physio she recommended double voiding, ie after peeing move about, even walk round a bit, then go again. Apparently it's what the Royal ladies do to make sure their bladders are completely empty before an event. Must work ~ you don't see the queen nipping off to the loo.
    • Posted

There you are, what would we do without this forum & sharing of information. I never saw the physio, I didn't have a bladder repair. Did you pick up on this one Carolannfud

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, I am on Bactrim and have 5 more days to go before testing again. Urine pale and non smelly. Bladder was pushed out of place by prolapse but I feel stinging is in vagina area. I've noticed I can get a bit more out by leaning forward too. Seems to happen when I've been 'hanging on'. 
    • Posted

thanks Moira, I will give that a try. I didn't have any problems with incomplete emptying while I was in hospital but as I told Sue I have noticed I can sometimes get a bit more out if I just wait. Thanks for your reply. 
    • Posted

Did they tell you to hang on as part of your bladder training. If not I would say that is a no no from now on. I am finding this soon post op if I don't go when I get the urge it makes my whole pelvis ache & in the morning my bladder hurts  & I didn't have a bladder repair just a cystoscopy. All the pushing around in there irritates the nerves & tissue etc. do you think the stinging is the edge of your peronorrhaphy. Have you had bladder infections before. Is it the same? My peronorrhaphy stings a bit when I pee. Specially last night, I started a fresh bleed putting in the oestrodial ointmentt. I had to go back and wash it down with warm water.

sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, they didn't tell me to hang on, it's a habit I've picked up, always being too busy to take time to go to the loo. Yes, I have the same problem whereby holding on can cause aching.,hence ive been trying to make myself go as soon as I get the urge. UTI doesn't feel like a UTI at all to me. I wouldn't know I had a UTI except for the stinging and that's not with weeing, I just feel,it sometimes. (Assuming associated with UTI, haven't had it previously only since UTI diagnosed). 
    • Posted

Hi Sue, they didn't tell me to hang on, it's a habit I've picked up, always being too busy to take time to go to the loo. Yes, I have the same problem whereby holding on can cause aching.,hence ive been trying to make myself go as soon as I get the urge. UTI doesn't feel like a UTI at all to me. I wouldn't know I had a UTI except for the stinging and that's not with weeing, I just feel,it sometimes. (Assuming associated with UTI, haven't had it previously only since UTI diagnosed). 
    • Posted

Hi Carolannfud, I guess it's a women thing, if it really is your bladder stinging then I guess you've still got infection. Hope it's resolved soon

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.