4 Weeks - Right THR - Having Issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Hippies:

So I came into room with 2 week progress, was doing fantastic, walking with no cane / crutches, the last 5 days I'v been doing excessive amount of walking, climbing stairs, taking dog out 4X / day, etc...! 

Been having severe, excruciating pain in the right hip / buttock area, it takes me 5-7  steps before I feel comfortable walking, I called my doctor today, he said I've pushed myself too much, too hard, he said I "must" stop walking now, if I do walk, it has to be w/ a cane, he said the muscles are still very weak, it takes minimum of 6-8 weeks before the strength and muscle properly heals itself, he said if I continue walking, climbing stairs without the use of a cane or crutch I take a chance of permanent damage to the hip, it may not heal properly.  He has instructed me to use a cane 100% of the time if I have to wallk, he wants me to stay off my feet for 3-4 days, just doing some minor exercises, icing my hip / buttocks all day, he prescribed me anti-inflammatory pills.  

My reason for posting this is to encourage ALL patients to use their walking aid, don't push this too fast, which I did, this is a "Marathon not a Sprint", I am very upset, I thought I was indesctrutible, I am not, I should have continued using my cane, the fact that I didn't, means I am paying for my mistakes now, I will continue to provide updates regarding my progress and healing, take it easy, take it slow, don't not rush the healing process, take care and take it slow....!!

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That is a shame when you were doing so well! What a complete pain - definitely best to follow advice though the last thing you need is a revision.

Take a few days off and wrap some presents, plan a Christmas menu and watch a few films. I am sure you will be back to strength in no time. X

• Posted

I'm in the same club but it's my knee I've hurt, not my hip as yet!!

Total bed rest except Loo and meds!👀👀🔫🔫

• Posted

It's so frustrating, isn't it?! You feel so energised and want to do things and the result is more pain! I was the same, although my procedure was anterior so no cut muscles or restrictions. Ended up with awful stabbling, grabbing pain in my bum muscles, excrutiating to bend or walk. Was so worried I rang my surgeon who told me I had 'overdone it', that the muscles had got used to being shorter and contracted due to the breakdown of the joint and had to get used to being stretched to their normal length again. He said he had managed to stretch them a little during the operation but there was only so much he could do. It would take time, exercise and common sense! Went to physio for gentle massage, started on special muscle-stretching exercises and the GP prescribed anti-inflammatories. That was 5 weeks ago and I am 10 weeks post-op. Still getting the occasional twinges, but otherwise doing well, back line dancing 3 mornings a week.
  • Posted

There you go !!!  thank you for posting this ... 

It is so easy to overdo it for obvious reasons - Your cane is your friend ... just to keep you balanced - 

make sure you walk properly - posture straight and yet relaxed - heel to toe, lift feet and don't forget to swing arms - and yes, take it slow -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

It is quality walking, no limping,no pain, which we all aim for.

I don't think there is one of us who hasn't overdone it some

time, whatever our age. The amazing thing about new hips

is that they let you know you are doing too much, we just don't

listen. What was that story about the tortoise and the hare.

It is hard to do less, but the golf course will be waiting for you!

Cathie

• Posted

Hi...Very glad to read your post. I am one week in and joined this forum because I felt that I should be further a head. I am 56 and have always been the type of person to do too much....This has wiped me right out and last night I accepted slow recovery is ok too.   I totally understand where you were at tho....You feel better and want to get on with things!  Thanks for your story I will probably need to re read it in about 3 weekssmile Take care!
  • Posted

Yes ...YOu do have to slow it all down...and think about the growing inside, if you get agitated...just do the clenching and tightening excersise after a few deep breaths and concentrate on the healing area, then as you have said...keep the waloing postur upright with the stick...I am still working on my left to get the same strangth as my right and I was left sided...Odd to feel like this, but nice to have a very strong right side now...A work in progress I am sure...Ian cool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.